Today’s workplace is more regulated than at any other time in history. As a result, Gunster’s mission is to provide practical legal counsel that helps clients to achieve their business objectives and addresses substandard employee performance.
When Gunster clients are faced with a workforce-related lawsuit or administrative complaint, our attorneys consistently strive to deliver an aggressive and effective defense. Gunster is committed to offering the multidimensional talent and diplomacy needed to advise on preventive counseling and proactive human resource practices, single plaintiff and class-action employment litigation, trial and appellate matters, as well as alternative dispute resolution strategies.
Our Labor and Employment team is dedicated to advising clients on preventive measures grounded in tangible, real-world outcomes. Gunster counsels clients at every phase of employment, including the retention of employees, the design of sound management policies, and the resolution of disputes both in and out of court and in administrative proceedings. Our attorneys are involved in the enforcement of employer rights relating to former employees, such as the safeguarding of confidential information and trade secrets. The firm represents employers on challenges as diverse as:
- Disability access and accommodation
- Federal and state harassment and discrimination claims
- Employee privacy and defamation, workplace violence and theft
- Employment compensation and employee leave
- FLSA and FMLA claims
- Private and public whistleblower claims
- Unfair competition and trade secrets, including noncompetition, nonsolicitation and confidentiality agreements
- Administrative proceedings before the EEOC, FCHR and NLRB
- Wrongful discharge
- OSHA, ERISA, public works and prevailing wage law
- Affirmative action and OFCCP audits
Gunster lawyers focus on how to avoid the mistakes that often lead to litigation. The firm’s Labor and Employment practice is comprised of attorneys who have spent decades working diligently to serve as trusted advisers in employment law. Our attorneys seek to implement proactive strategies designed to educate and protect against common and not-so-common labor and employment related issues. The firm offers counseling and training for management and human resource employees; continuing education through seminars and client alerts announcing recent changes to laws; and advice and drafting assistance with policies and procedures. Our experience includes legal counsel pertaining to:
- Compliance with local, state and federal employment laws and regulations
- Reductions in workforce, including employee layoffs, terminations and plant closings
- Drug and alcohol testing, including re-employment screening and drug-free workplace programs
- Wage and hour investigations and Department of Labor audits
- Employee benefits assistance
- Employee handbooks, workplace policies and training programs
- Protection of trade secrets and other confidential business information
- Training regarding discrimination and sexual harassment prevention
- Union avoidance training and labor negotiations
- Immigration-related counsel for clients with an international workforce
Gunster attorneys work hard to design solutions that can contribute to our client’s bottom line. Our Labor and Employment team aspires to serve in collaborative partnership with client management teams and human resource departments to make crucial employment decisions, and to design compliance and claim avoidance policies that minimize disputes and avoid litigation.
Gunster represents employers of all sizes, ranging from Fortune 100 companies to startups. Our cross section of clients is diverse and reflects major industries throughout Florida, including banking, health care, technology, energy, insurance, real estate, manufacturing, leisure and resorts, retail, entertainment and media, among others.