Tico Perez is a shareholder who joined Gunster in 2013. Tico’s practice is focused on government relations and corporate transactional matters. Tico’s experience includes mergers, acquisitions, private securities and syndications, assisting businesses in presentations to local and state governing bodies, obtaining government approvals for pending projects, and lobbying at the local, legislative and executive agency levels.
In addition to his legal practice, Tico has been a political analyst for the local NBC affiliate, WESH TV; a commentator on the nationally syndicated Daily Buzz; and for over a decade, hosted his own political talk radio show entitled “Talkin’ with Tico” on WDBO. Tico is a regular political analyst on the local FOX affiliate, as well as on WTMO, the Tampa and Orlando market Spanish language Telemundo affiliate.
Tico has been recognized as one of the “10 most influential people” in Central Florida by the Orlando Business Journal, as well as one of the “25 most influential Hispanics” by Ahora Magazine. Florida Trend has recognized Tico as one of the most influential people in Florida. Tico is also very involved in the Republican Party, and is a regular speaker in Central Florida on political issues at all levels of government.
An active community volunteer, Tico is the national commissioner of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), and a member of the executive board of its National Council. Tico also served as the former president of the BSA’s Central Florida Council and of the BSA’s Southern Region. An Eagle Scout himself, Tico has received multiple awards over the course of his involvement in the BSA, including the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award and the Silver Buffalo Award. Tico has also been recognized by the National Sigma Chi Fraternity as a “Significant Sig.”
In addition to his service for BSA, Tico served for seven years as a member of the Florida board of governors for the State University System of Florida; president of the Orlando Utilities Commission; chairman of United Arts of Central Florida; president of the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce; chairman of the Orange County Arts and Cultural Affairs Commission; as a member of the University of Central Florida board of trustees, a member of the UCF foundation board, and as president of the University of Central Florida Alumni Association.
Over the last several decades, Tico has started signature fundraising events for several local charities. He has chaired numerous local fundraising efforts including service as chairman of the American Heart Association Heart Walk (twice), the American Diabetes Association walk and the Juvenile Diabetes walk, to name only a few. He has served as a mentor for children in inner city schools and has been recognized by UCF with a Jefferson Award for Public Service, as well as by the Orange County School Board for his service to inner city youth.
- AV rated as independently determined by Martindale-Hubble
- “10 Most Influential Men in Central Florida,” Orlando Sentinel
- One of the most influential people in Florida, Florida Trend
- The Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout
- Silver Beaver, Silver Antelope, Silver Buffalo and Distinguished Eagle Scout Award
- Distinguished Service Award, Order of the Arrow
- Significant Sig, Sigma Chi Fraternity
- Distinguished Alumnus 1998, University of Central Florida
- Orlando Utilities Commission, past president
- Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce, past president
- State University System of Florida, board of governors, 2006-13
- Budget Committee, chairman, 2008-13
- Facilities Committee, vice-chair, 2008-13
- Boy Scouts of America
- National Executive Board
- National commissioner, 2008-present
- United Arts of Central Florida, past president
- Orange County Arts and Cultural Affairs Commission, past president
- University of Central Florida Alumni Association, past president
- Southern Region for the Boy Scouts of America, past president