Lila Jaber leads the Government Affairs practice for Gunster. She is a member of the firm’s Women’s Leadership Forum.
With a 25 year career in regulatory policy and many relationships in state government and business, Lila provides strategic and regulatory advice to clients on a number of business and economic development issues that include utility specific matters in energy and water, as well as general business strategy implementation for some of the largest companies doing business in Florida.
Lila also represents clients before the Florida Attorney General’s Office, the Florida Legislature and the Office of the Governor. Lila is routinely consulted by industry leaders in matters involving public affairs, energy, natural gas, water, telecommunications and broadband policies.
Lila served two terms on Florida’s Public Service Commission as both commissioner and chairman, overseeing the state’s implementation of economic regulatory policy and procedure for the energy, natural gas, water and telecommunications industries. Directly accountable for a 380-member staff and for regulatory decisions impacting a $17 billion investor-owned utility industry, Lila represented the state on the State-Federal Universal Service Joint Board, FCC Advanced Services Task Force, and the NARUC committees on water, telecommunications and consumer affairs.
Fluent in English and Arabic, Lila is an experienced speaker and presenter, and has testified before the Florida Legislature, the Florida Cabinet, the United States Department of Treasury, and the United States Senate Committee on Commerce.
Lila’s civic service includes serving as a former chair of Leadership Florida. She also serves as a board member of the United Way of the Big Bend and as a founding member and vice chair of the Big Bend Minority Chamber of Commerce. In 2015, the City of Tallahassee Commission appointed Lila to its newly created City Ethics Board.
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Utilities Law, 2013-15
- “Defining Green Jobs for Florida,” co-author
- Certified Circuit Court Mediator
- Florida Bar, Government, Public Utility Law and Administrative Law Sections
- University of Florida Public Utility Research Center, senior fellow
- Florida Conflict Resolution Consortium Leadership Steering Council, member
- LeMoyne Council of the Arts, board member
- Workforce Florida, Inc., past member, board of directors
- City of Tallahassee Ethics Board, 2015
- United Way of the Big Bend, board member, 2013-15
- Big Bend Minority Chamber of Commerce, founding board member and vice chair, 2012-15
- Leadership Florida
- Chair, 2011-12
- Member of Class XXIII
- Florida Chamber, board of directors, 2011-12