COVID-19: Resources & Insights
We realize this is an unprecedented time and critical information on the characteristics of COVID-19 and its impact on business activity is difficult to assess and can change overnight.
In response to this crisis, Gunster has established a multi-disciplinary, coordinated effort to help our clients navigate a myriad of business and legal issues they may be facing.
It is our priority to continue our commitment to our team members, clients and communities to help them plan and strategize. Read our firm communications issued on March 16, 2020.
Read our latest Client Alerts & Publications:
- May 28, 2020: President Proclamation Temporarily Suspending Entry of Certain Individuals to the U.S. from Brazil
- May 26, 2020: Best Practices for FL Construction Companies During Phase 1 of “Plan for Florida’s Recovery”
- May 22, 2020: Questions to Consider Before Re-Opening Your Business
- May 19, 2020: Nasdaq Retreats on Delisting Rule Change
- May 14, 2020: SBA Issues Positive Guidance Regarding Paycheck Protection Program Loans
- May 11, 2020: Nasdaq Provides Temporary COVID-19 Exemption from Shareholder Approval Requirement
- May 7, 2020: SBA Extends Safe Harbor Repayment Date for Paycheck Protection Program Loans to May 14, 2020
- May 6, 2020: COVID-19 and Filing Insurance Claims for Businesses
- May 6, 2020: More COVID-19 news from the SEC
- May 5, 2020: COVID-19 Temporary Policy for Form I-9 List B Identity Documents
- May 5, 2020: DHS Issues Temporary Policy for Form I-9 List B Identity Documents
- April 30, 2020: Governor DeSantis Announces Phase 1 to Re-Open Florida
- April 30, 2020: When will USCIS Offices Reopen to the Public? USCIS Advises on or after June 4
- April 29, 2020: Gunster’s Joseph Chase on COVID-19’s Impact on Merger and Acquisition Transactions
- April 28, 2020: Certain Development Fees Temporarily Waived-City of Jacksonville and St. Johns County
- April 27, 2020: NYSE and Nasdaq Take More COVID-19 Actions
Nasdaq and the SEC delay rule change effectiveness until September 2020. See “Nasdaq Retreats on Delisting Rule Change.”
- April 24, 2020: Some Pointers on Public Company Disclosure for Q1 and Beyond
- April 23, 2020: What to Do if Your Business Receives a Price-Gouging Subpoena From the Florida Attorney General
- April 23, 2020: Governor DeSantis Establishes Re-Open Florida Task Force
- April 23, 2020: Summary of President Trump’s April 22, 2020 Proclamation Temporarily Suspending Entry of Certain Immigrants to the U.S.
- April 21, 2020: President Trump Announces he will Issue an Executive Order Temporarily Suspending Immigration to the U.S.
- April 20, 2020: Nasdaq Provides COVID-19 Relief on Compliance with Listing Standards
- April 17, 2020: The Federal Reserve Makes $600 Billion in New Credit Available for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses
The new Main Street Lending Program offers $600 billion in new credit from the Federal Reserve to eligible businesses that were in good standing prior to the COVID-19 crisis, including small businesses and the approximately 20,000 medium-sized U.S. businesses that employ between 500 and 10,000 workers and who were not able to access PPP funds or other initiatives limited to small businesses.
- April 16, 2020: Working From Home May Increase Exposure to Email Compromise Fraud
- April 16, 2020: Evaluating Construction Contract Clauses to Manage Risk Related to COVID-19
- April 13, 2020: Three Steps to Avoid Getting Sued for COVID-19 Layoffs
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a sweeping impact on the economy and it might have forced you to close down operations or lay off employees. What steps do you need to take to minimize your risk of future wrongful termination claims?
- April 13, 2020: More COVID-19 Relief from the SEC
In light of logistical difficulties in submitting hard copy forms due to the spread of COVID-19, what do you need to know regarding Form 144 filings?
- April 13, 2020: Is your Venture Capital or Equity Investor an Affiliate? Potential Problems for Paycheck Protection Program Loans
If your company has venture capital, private equity or other entity investors, what can you do if you encounter problems when applying for a Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”) loan under the CARES Act?
- April 9, 2020: Important COVID-19 Guidance from the SEC: The Need for Forward-Looking Information
- April 8, 2020: SEC, NYSE, and Delaware Provide COVID-19 Relief and Reminders
- April 6, 2020: Emergency Orders Issued by Florida Water Management Districts
Following the Florida DEP executive final order issued last week, the Northwest Florida Water Management District, Southwest Florida Water Management District, and St. Johns River Water Management District issued emergency orders applicable to activities and entities regulated by those Districts. The other two Districts are expected to issue their own orders soon.
- April 6, 2020: Significant Operational Changes for Health Care Providers in the CARES Act
In addition to the economic stimulus provisions, the CARES Act includes healthcare provisions that impact our healthcare system. These include changes in public health systems, the reenactment of several existing public health programs and substantive changes to existing health care regulations that impact practitioners and facilities.
- April 3, 2020: State Environmental Order Issued for COVID-19
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection published an Emergency Final Order which extends by thirty days the time to comply with deadlines of eight activities if they occur before May 8 or the expiration of the Order.
- April 2, 2020: Florida Governor issues statewide safer-at-home executive order
- April 2, 2020: SBA Rule Implementing Paycheck Protection Program
The Small Business Administration issued an Interim Final Rule implementing the Paycheck Protection Program under sections 1102 and 1106 of the CARES Act.
- April 2, 2020: Department of Labor Clarifies Paid Leave Requirements
What requirements must be met for smalls businesses with fewer than 50 employees to be exempt from the emergency family and medical leave provisions and the use of paid sick leave to care for a child whose school or place of care is closed? Find out what critical issues this temporary rule addresses.
- April 1, 2020: Insurance Coverage Issues Arising Out of COVID-19: What Businesses can be Doing Now to Prepare for Potential Claims
Which coverage may business owners and workers invoke to attempt to minimize losses caused by COVID-19?
- March 30, 2020: IRS Shows it is Putting “People First” with New Initiative
- March 30, 2020: Congress Delays FASB Loan Loss Standard for Banks and Credit Unions
- March 30, 2020: Guidance for Employers Regarding Changes in Work Conditions Impacting H-1B Workers, Interacting with Department of Labor
- March 30, 2020: SEC Provides More Pandemic Relief
- March 27, 2020: DHS Announces Flexibility in I-9 Compliance Requirements
- March 26, 2020: Families First Coronavirus Response Act Poster
The U.S. Department of Labor has issued a new poster required to be displayed to all employees, effective April 1. Is your business equipped with this new information?
- March 26, 2020: Antitrust Laws and Competitor Collaboration in the Face of COVID-19
What guidance has been provided to businesses to ensure their efforts to provide needed relief – in the forms of goods, commodities, products, and services – comply with U.S. competition laws?
- March 26, 2020: Businesses Beware: COVID-19 Fraud is Flourishing
What are the Florida Attorney General’s office and U.S. Attorneys doing to target scams that exploit this national emergency?
- March 26, 2020: Congress Agrees to $2 Trillion COVID-19 Relief Package
Early Wednesday morning, Senate leaders agreed to a $2 trillion emergency relief package in response to COVID-19. This bipartisan legislation will assist millions of businesses and Americans during this uncertain time in the nation’s economy. What are the highlights of the stimulus package?
- March 25, 2020: SEC Issues Pandemic-Related Relief and Reminders
The S.E.C. has issued guidance on various issues including the importance of maintaining market integrity, extended reporting deadlines and disclosure guidance for public companies. Read the latest here.
- March 23, 2020: USCIS Announces Temporary Suspension of Premium Processing for All I-129 (including H-1B Cap-Subject Petitions for FY 2021) and I-140 Petitions Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic
How will the suspension affect your business?
- March 23, 2020: Will COVID-19 result in a material adverse effect under mergers and acquisitions agreements?
The question on whether COVID-19 is a natural emergency.
- March 23, 2020: COVID-19: Are Development Orders and Permits Extendable?
Guidance on whether COVID-19 constitutes a “material adverse effect”.
- March 20, 2020: Families First Coronavirus Response Act – Tax Alert
The latest on the tax aspects of this Act.
- March 20, 2020: Tax Payment and Filing Delay
How will the IRS delaying the filing obligation until July 15, 2020, affect you?
- March 19, 2020: Tax Deadline Extended 90 Days
What you need to know about the 90-day extension to pay your business’ 2019 income-tax bills.
- March 18, 2020: New Bill Requires Paid Leave for Employees Affected by the Coronavirus
How will the Families First Coronavirus Response Act affect your business?
- March 18, 2020: Florida’s State Government Response to COVID-19
The latest on evolving state legislation.
- March 17, 2020: COVID-19: Tips for Businesses
How will COVID-19 impact your business? Our team stands ready to help you plan and strategize so that you remain prepared during this time.
- March 17, 2020: COVID-19: Tips for Health Care Providers
Guidance on how health care providers might identify and mitigate risk in light of this pandemic.
- March 17, 2020: COVID-19: Impact on US Immigration Matters
How will the U.S. government measures relating to COVID-19 impact sponsored foreign national employees and individual travelers?
- March 16, 2020: SEC Guidance Clarifies Switch to Virtual Meetings due to Pandemic
What are the important considerations associated with holding a virtual or hybrid meeting?
In The News:
Gunster’s Joseph Chase on COVID-19’s Impact on Merger and Acquisition Transactions
April 29, 2020
March 30, 2020
March 30, 2020
LinkedIn Blog by Nate Hill
March 23, 2020
March 20, 2020
by Amy Terwilleger
March 19, 2020
Also featured on Yahoo News
March 18, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 17, 2020