WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (December 27, 2012) — The momentum of its expanding success since 2010 has carried Gunster, one of Florida’s oldest and largest business law firms, through 2012 with more domestic and international growth, a cadre of new attorneys who have joined the firm and the addition of several new offices around the state.
In August 2012, Gunster opened an office in the Florida Keys, its 10th office statewide, in the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo. Following last year’s expansion into the Tampa Bay area, this latest move further solidified the firm’s efforts to establish a presence in all of Florida’s key markets. The Florida Keys location, anchored by shareholder Timothy Thomes, primarily focuses on business litigation, trust and estates, and real estate law.
Gunster’s presence in South Florida, particularly the multilingual Miami office, has played a central role in extending the firms’ services to an international client base. The leadership at Gunster recognizes multiple opportunities from the influx of foreign companies and capital into the region. The firm continues to develop practice areas that serve the specific needs of South Florida’s international community, as well as the Carribbean and Latin America. The addition of six new attorneys in 2012, coupled with the rise of international work in the areas of immigration, real estate and international tax law, the firm has put Gunster on the international map.
This year also proved to be a year of accolades for the firm and its attorneys. In 2012, a total of 53 Gunster attorneys were selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers’ 2012 publication. Thirty-seven of those attorneys were named to the Florida Super Lawyers list and 16 were names to Florida Super Lawyers Rising Stars. Super Lawyers recognizes outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. For the first time, Gunster was recognized by the National Law Journal as one of the top 250 largest law firms in the nation and with a ‘Top Workplace’ Award from the Sun Sentinel. It was also recognized by Business Journals across the state among a region’s Healthiest Employers. Gunster ranked among Florida’s Best Companies to Work For in 2012 by Florida Trend, for the fourth year in a row.
Year in review – by region:
WEST PALM BEACH
- Brian McPherson promoted to shareholder (he is a member of the firm’s labor and employment practice)
- Elaine Bucher joined the firm as a shareholder in the private wealth services group
- Stacey Ibarra and Amy S. Levenberg joined Gunster’s business litigation practice
- Keith Sonderling was appointed to the Fourth District Court of Appeal Judicial Nominating Commission for a four-year term
- Greg Schwinghammer was appointed to the Fifteenth Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission
- Amy Brigham Boulris, an environmental attorney, and William Hill, a business litigator, joined the firm as shareholders
- Jorge Guttman and Gabriel Caballero joined the firm as associates in the business litigation and banking and financial services practices, respectively
- Deborah K. Tyson and Stephanie M. Quiñones joined the firm as associates in the environmental and land use and banking and financial services practices, respectively
- Lindsay L. Powell and Davis D. Balz joined the Jacksonville office as associates in the business litigation practice group
- Gunster was listed as the 9th largest firm in the area by the Jacksonville Business Journal
- Gunster welcomed hundreds to Tampa by hosting the opening night reception of the Republican National Convention in November
- Patricia (PK) Fletcher joined the firm as a shareholder in the firm’s real estate practice and will focus her work throughout Florida, including from the Treasure Coast down to Miami
Shareholder Timothy Thomes opened this new office focused on business litigation, estate planning and real estate
Gunster is Florida’s law firm for business with 10 offices around the state, including Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami, Palm Beach, Stuart, Tallahassee, Tampa, The Florida Keys, Vero Beach and its headquarters in West Palm Beach. Established in 1925, the firm’s more than 165 attorneys and 200 committed support staff provides counsel to leading businesses and individuals. The firm was recently recognized by the National Law Journal as one of the top 250 largest law firms in the nation.
Director of Corporate Communications