Alexis Buese practices in all aspects of commercial litigation, including class action, contract disputes, and real estate and consumer class action litigation. She serves as a co-leader of Gunster’s Class Action Defense team. She has broadly defended the consumer products and services industries against the expanding array of class actions that challenge their products, methodologies, and procedures. Her clients include numerous consumer goods manufacturers and retailers, including apparel, furniture, food, vitamin and dietary supplement companies, and e-commerce companies. She also works with clients to assess their product and service offerings, and mitigate litigation risk in connection therewith including by creating enforceable e-commerce agreements, including the drafting and implementation of effective terms and conditions.
Alexis is dedicated to understanding each client’s specific business and legal objectives, and to delivering legal solutions that are cost-effective, work within her client’s budget and conserve time and resources. She focuses on providing creative and actionable advice when seeking to develop overarching strategies that can result in the mitigation of expensive acrimony and position clients favorably. Alexis is also committed to providing the regular communication and personal attention to those she serves, both inside and outside of the firm.
Alexis has been a featured panelist at numerous conferences and events addressing arbitration and other contractual provisions implicated in disputes, as well as creating enforceable website terms and conditions. Recognized by her peers as one of the top 2 of 3 young lawyers in Southern California, Alexis was named a “Super Lawyers Rising Star” in 2013–2018 (Los Angeles Magazine) and was also recognized as one of the “Top Women Attorneys in Southern California” (Los Angeles Magazine) in 2013–2015.
- Successfully obtained relief on behalf of a group of religious schools challenging the constitutionality of California’s school closure order.
- Prevailed on a motion to compel arbitration in the Central District of California against a putative class action asserting breach of contract, fraud and unfair business practices (Section 17200) claims against a cable service provider.
- Complete defense verdict after a two-week jury trial on behalf of a major sports apparel and athletic shoe company in a third-party investor lawsuit relating to alleged misrepresentations over a retail operation agreement.
- Part of a trial team that obtained an award in an international arbitration concerning the World Market Center in Las Vegas, which the Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journal named as one of California’s “Top Plaintiff Verdicts of 2009.”
- Successfully enforced a right of first offer in a ground lease following a seven-day arbitration, allowing the client to acquire the property under favorable terms and a below-market price.
- Prevailed on a motion for summary judgment in the Central District of California against a putative false advertising class action regarding homeopathic cold and flu remedies.
- Defeated class certification in a putative class action asserting breach of contract, fraud and unfair business practices (Section 17200) claims against a large on-line food ordering service.
- Prosecuting a major power reliability lawsuit on behalf of one of the world’s largest petroleum companies against the largest investor-owned electric utility.
- Super Lawyers Rising Star” in 2013–2018 (Los Angeles Magazine)
- “Top Women Attorneys in Southern California” (Los Angeles Magazine) in 2013–2015
Publications & Presentations
- “Mini-TCPAs in full swing,” Daily Journal, co-author, January 2023
- “Call or Text, it’s Your Liability”, author, Association of Corporate Counsel: South Florida Chapter Q1 Newsletter, 2022
- “2020: COVID-19 Versus the First Amendment,” Daily Journal, January 22, 2021 (co-authored with Dino LaVerghetta and Abigail Hudson).
- “CPRA’s Impact on CCPA Enforcement and Compliance,” Daily Journal, November 20, 2020 (co-authored with Sheri Porath Rockwell).
- “A Closer Look at Calif. Privacy Law Bar On 2 Contract Clauses,” Law 360, July 8, 2019 (co-authored with Rachel Goldberg).
- “Calif. Privacy Law Will Likely Prompt Flood of Class Actions,” Law360, May 15, 2019.
- “First Circuit’s Decision Provides Guidance on Enforceable Website Terms, Conditions,” Bloomberg BNA, August 2, 2018 (co-authored with Michael Mallow and Darlene Cho).
- “Mitigating Risk In Website Terms and Conditions,” Law360, July 21, 2017.
- “Compelling Arbitration in Consumer Class Actions: Best Practices for Creating ‘Reasonable Notice,’” Bloomberg BNA, June 23, 2017.
- “Public Injunctive Relief Cannot Be Forfeited in Consumer Arbitration Agreements in Calif.,” The Recorder, April 25, 2017.
- “When Drafting Arbitration Agreements, Less Can Be More,” Law 360, April 13, 2017.
- “Guidance for Creating Enforceable E-Commerce Arbitration Agreements,” Bloomberg BNA, August 15, 2016.
- “Lay And Expert Testimony: Tactical Use Of Employee Witnesses,” Law360, April 5, 2016.
- Featured in “Supreme Court Clarifies Citizenship For Unincorporated REITs,” GlobeSt.com, April 1, 2016.
- “Consider These Cases Before Drafting An Arbitration Provision,” Law360, January 2016.
- “Sometimes, ripeness is not required,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, February 2015 (co-authored with Bridget S. Johnsen).
- “Holding the Government to its Burden of Proof in FCPA Cases: Litigating Jury Instructions,” American Bar Association: White Collar Crime 2013, March 2013 (co-authored with Kimberly Dunne).
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Florida Retail Federation, Chairman’s Circle, 2022-present
- Hillsborough Education Foundation, Advocacy Committee, 2021-present
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Leadership Institute, Class of 2021-2022
- Federal Bar Association, 2021-present
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers, 2021-present
- Journal Committee, 2021-2022