Andrew Steif is a trial lawyer with nearly fifteen years of practice experience in complex transportation and commercial litigation matters in state and federal court. He represents clients in a full range of transportation related disputes, including complex matters under the Carmack Amendment, Carriage of Goods by Sea Act, shipping delay and demurrage issues, rate disputes, and a variety of tort claims. Andrew has assisted clients in addressing many different types of transportation issues and he is dedicated to providing creative solutions that solve problems and reduce risk.
Andrew has also defended clients in hundreds of real property, banking, product liability and trust and estate litigation matters. He has handled or worked on dozens of appeals before Florida’s appellate courts, as well as before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh and Sixth Circuits and the United States Supreme Court.
Andrew provides personalized legal services that are thoughtful and appropriate to each client’s needs. He endeavors to understand his clients’ business models and objectives and then seeks to achieve results that are uniquely tailored to each client. At the core of Andrew’s legal counsel is a client-centered focus and creative strategies that are based on agile critical thinking. His even-keel approach to delivering arguments resonates not only with opposing counsel, but also with judges and juries.
Named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine every year from 2013-2017, Andrew is active in the transportation law legal community, the Jacksonville community and he is involved in bar and charitable organizations. He represents indigent and charitable clients in pro bono matters in state and federal court on a variety of issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Andrew served as hiring partner at a national law firm.
- Secured summary judgment for a Fortune 100 client in a large transportation litigation matter, then served as lead counsel for the client in the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit both on the briefing and at oral argument, securing an opinion affirming summary judgment
- Secured an order assessing attorneys’ fees in favor of large transportation client in matter of first impression in the federal courts
- Secured favorable resolution for a Fortune 100 client of a complex cargo damage case under the Carriage of Goods by Sea Act
- Representation of transportation clients in lawsuits relating to a wide range of transportation issues, including:
- Carmack Amendment claims
- Carriage of Goods by Sea Act claims
- Other cargo damage and derailment disputes
- Pre-emption issues
- Motor carrier disputes
- Shipping liability issues
- Holding and blocking charges
- Rail transportation refund agreement disputes
- Disputes relating to tariffs, rail circulars and other transportation agreements
- Represented numerous clients in construction defect lawsuits relating to new condominium warranties, condominium conversion warranties and reserves, building envelope defects and many cases involving claims under Florida’s Condominium Act and the Interstate Land Sales Act
- Represented financial institutions in disputes over internal bank policies, the enforceability and scope of financial institution customer agreements and handled disputes under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) and Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA)
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2013-2017
- “Motor Carrier Cargo Damage and Loss Claims under the Carmack Amendment: A Primer on Claims and Defenses,” Florida Truck News, Spring 2022
- “Supply Chain Issues Put Carmack Preemption In Spotlight,” Law360, March 2022
- “Through the Bills of Lading: Recent Trends Show Strong Enforcement in Favor of Downstream Rail Carriers,” Transportation Lawyer, Vol. 23, No. 4, February 2022
- “Recent Trends Favoring The Enforcement of Through Bills of Lading in Favor of Rail Carriers,” presentation given to Rail Group of the Transportation Lawyers Association, November 2021
- “A Survey of Florida Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims Against Banks,” Law360, April 2018
- “Latest Trends Favoring Enforcement of Offers of Judgment in Florida,” Law360, April 2018
- Member, Transportation Lawyers Association
- Freight Claim and Rail Committees
- Member, Jacksonville Bar Association
- Member, Jacksonville Federal Bar Association
- Jacksonville Humane Society, Leadership Giving Member
- Jewish Family & Community Services (JFCS) Board Member, 2012-2016