Ernest “EJ” A. Cox IV is an attorney in the firm’s professional liability and business litigation practice groups. With a focus on legal ethics and professional responsibility, EJ defends lawyers, accountants, and their firms against professional negligence and malpractice claims throughout Florida’s state and federal courts. As part of his professional liability practice, EJ also manages, defends, and prosecutes complex business disputes arising out of trusts and estate matters, contract breaches and enforcements, entity restructurings, and federal regulations that often involve longstanding and complicated histories between the affected parties.
EJ began his legal career at Gunster in 2016. Client-focused, EJ strives to approach each case with a business mindset in an effort to maximize the outcome for clients, both in result and process. EJ makes an effort to approach complex matters with an eye for the big picture, by synthesizing complex issues and organizing information to provide clients with a to the point case assessment and affirmative, proposed course of action. By leveraging legal technology, including artificial intelligence and electronic discovery management programs, EJ aims to efficiently and cost-effectively investigate each matter before strategizing creative solutions to push clients’ goals across the finish line.
At every stage of representation—from the initial case evaluation through case resolution—EJ’s goal is to leverage his finance degree and substantive understanding of financial statements and market data to build cases and identify gaps and discrepancies in the record, thereby striving to create an accurate representation of the “big picture.” By focusing on the bottom line, EJ looks to uncover new opportunities and pathways to defend and prosecute litigation.
As a Palm Beach County native, EJ is a long-time stakeholder in the community, serving as an active member of the local legal, business, and philanthropic associations. Recognized as an emerging leader, EJ was selected to participate in Leadership West Palm Beach, an experience he continues to leverage when engaging with and giving back to his community.
EJ graduated summa cum laude from Florida State University College of Law. While obtaining his law degree, EJ served as a member of the Florida State Law Review, and Chief Justice of the Student Government Supreme Court. He also volunteered to prosecute misdemeanor and felony crimes at the Leon County State Attorney’s Office.
- Defended law firm in a legal malpractice case arising out of a private business investment that was later discovered to be run as a Ponzi scheme.
- Defended law firm in a legal malpractice case arising out of a multi-entity corporate restructuring involving complex real estate transactions as part of a comprehensive estate planning representation.
- Defended law firm in a legal malpractice case arising out of an alleged failure to properly title and record assets prior to a bankruptcy proceeding.
- Defended law firms in legal malpractice cases arising out of federal regulatory advice including HIPAA, HITECH, Dodd-Frank, the Commodities Exchange Act, and related rules promulgated thereunder.
- Defended law firms in legal malpractice cases arising out of probate and estate planning matters.
- Defended international accounting firm in an accounting malpractice case arising out of a challenge to audit procedures relating to healthcare receivables.
- Assisted international accounting firm in responding to SEC subpoena arising out of an enforcement action against the firm’s client.
- Defended (pro bono) young attorney accused of malpractice arising out of foreclosure defense.
- Palm Beach Illustrated, “Top Lawyers,” Business Litigation, 2018
- Florida State University Law Review
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Legislation and Regulation Book Award
- Corporations Book Award
- Conflict of Laws Book Award
- Business Entity Tax Book Award
Publications & Presentations
- “A Crash Course in Malpractice Claims arising from Estate Planning and Administration,” American Bar Association Standing Committee on Lawyers’ Professional Liability, Young Professional’s Event, June 6, 2019
- “Lawyers, what are they good for? Quite a bit actually…land planning and the unlicensed practice of law,” Treasure Coast Section of the American Planning Association Florida Chapter 2018 Annual Conference, September 13, 2018