Lauren Shumate focuses her practice on complex litigation. She is personally dedicated to providing diligent legal representation in an efficient manner.
Prior to joining Gunster, Lauren interned for the Honorable James D. Whittemore of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida, as well as for the Honorable Raymond O. Gross of the Sixth Circuit in Pinellas County, Florida. Additionally, Lauren has concentrated on developing her litigation skills by interning with the Florida Attorney General’s Office of Statewide Prosecution and trying misdemeanor and traffic cases at the Elkhart County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office in Elkhart, Indiana.
Prior to her legal career, Lauren was selected as a Fulbright Scholar to Serbia where she taught English at the University of Nis and served as a guest lecturer at the Faculty of Law in Nis, Serbia. She also worked closely with the United States Embassy in Belgrade, Serbia assisting with rule of law and judicial reform efforts.
Lauren previously competed on the Women’s Professional Tennis Tour and achieved a world ranking before accepting a full scholarship to play collegiate tennis. She served as captain of the varsity tennis team and was named a graduate assistant coach while pursuing her master’s degree. Lauren is fluent in Serbian and conversational Russian.
- Dean’s List, University of Notre Dame
- Dean’s Award (Highest Grade)
- Deposition Skills, 2017
- Intensive Trial Advocacy, 2016
- Legal Writing I, 2014
- A. Harold Weber Moot Court Award, 2017
- Notre Dame Moot Court Board
- Showcase team, 2015-17
- Brief writer selection chair, 2016-17
- Notre Dame Journal of Legislation, executive notes editor, 2016-17
- William T. Kirby Award for Excellence in Legal Writing, 2015
- Fulbright Scholar, Serbia, 2011-12
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- “The changing landscape of water: How to save on hotel water demands and expenses,” co-author, Hotel Executive, Nov. 25, 2018
- Evaluating Legislative Justice Sector Reforms: Creating an Environment for Survival, 43 NOTRE DAME J. LEG. 163, 2016
- Judicial Independence, the Rule of Law, and Human Rights: Assessing Justice Sector Reforms in Serbia and Moldova, 4 BULETINUL STIINTIFIC STUDENTESC, ISTORIE-RELATII, INTERNATIONALE-STIINTE, POLITICE, UNIVERSITATEA LIBERA INTERNATIONALA DIN MOLDOVA 291, 2013
- Judicial Independence, the Rule of Law, and Human Rights: Assessing Justice Sector Reforms in Serbia and Moldova, Student Research Colloquium Series, University of South Florida – Saint Petersburg, 2013
- Judicial Independence, the Rule of Law, and Human Rights: Assessing Justice Sector Reforms in Serbia and Moldova, Annual Symposia Studentium, Univeritatea ULIM, Chisinau, Moldova, 2013
- Prosecuting Juveniles as Adults: A Quantitative Analysis of State Legislators’ Roll Call Votes, Annual Graduate Association of Political Scientists Global Governance & Sustainable Communities Interdisciplinary Conference, University of South Florida, 2013
- Criminal Justice in the United States: An Overview of the State and Federal System, Criminal Justice Class Lecture, Fulbright Guest Lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of Nis, Nis, Serbia, 2012
- Human Trafficking in Eastern Europe, Human Trafficking Legal Clinic, Fulbright Guest Lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of Nis, Nis, Serbia, 2011
- Victim Rights: A Comparison Between Serbia and the United States, Victimology Class Lecture, Fulbright Guest Lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of Nis, Nis, Serbia, 2011
- Fulbright Alumni Association, 2011-present
- Big Brother, Big Sister, South Bend, IN, 2016-17
- Mortar Board Middle School tutoring program, Tampa, FL, 2010-11
- Pace Center for Girls, Clearwater, FL, 2010-11
- One Student Organization, board member, 2010-11