Michael Sim is a shareholder who was with Gunster from 1984-1988, and rejoined the firm in 2005.
Mike is a member of the firm’s Real Estate and Leisure & Resorts practice groups.
Mike has represented a diverse group of clients for more than 30 years in a wide variety of commercial and residential real estate matters in Florida. He has helped both purchasers and sellers navigate through all stages of many different types of commercial real estate transactions, from drafting and negotiating the contract through the closing. He has extensive experience advising borrowers and lenders in commercial real estate loans, including acquisition, development and permanent financing, and has served as Florida counsel in connection with a number of multi-state loans.
His representation of real estate developers has included the creation and modification of many homeowners and property owners associations, and the drafting and negotiation of various types of development agreements. Mike has also negotiated and drafted many types of commercial leases for both landlords and tenants, including office, retail and restaurant leases.
Since the mid-1980’s, a significant portion of Mike’s practice involves clubs and recreational facilities, leisure activities, resorts and private and semi-private clubs throughout the United States and in several foreign countries. He has advised the owners and operators of several hundred leisure and recreational properties, including golf and country clubs, marinas and boating facilities, yacht clubs, alpine clubs and skiing facilities, beach clubs and social clubs.
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- University of Florida Law Review, 1979-80
- “Trends in Club Membership Programs,” ULI Southwest Florida Conference on Trends in Golf Course Development, December 2001
- “Marina Slip Programs,” Public Water Access Conference, November 2003
- “Evaluating Reclaimed Water Contracts,” Florida Turfgrass Association Annual Conference, Tampa, FL, August 1996
- Co-author of “Enhancing Resort Profitability with Membership Programs,” The Cornell H.R.A. Quarterly, August 1993
- Co-author of the National Club Association Model Private Club Laws, 2012
- “Marketing Club Memberships to Residential Real Estate Purchasers, ” The Club Marketing Report, October 1996