Paula Bentley is a Health Care attorney who represents a diverse group of health care entities and licensed health care professionals.
Paula chose law as a second career after a ten year career as a registured nurse. Her background in nursing provides her with an understanding of the issues that health care practitioners encounter on a day-to day basis.
In her licensure defense work, Paula is able to identify areas of increased risk and practical solutions.
Due to her medical background and experience as a Federal Law Clerk to the Honorable Virginia Covington-Hernandez of the Middle District of Florida, Paula is a valuable team member in administrative and civil malpractice litigation.
Paula has also worked extensively in privacy law, developing and negotiating business agreements between health care entities and their subcontractors to ensure compliance with state and federal privacy laws.
- Ruden McClosky Distinguished Writing Award
- National Association of Women Lawyers Outstanding Law Student Award
Publications & Presentations
- “ACA Makes Compliance Programs Mandatory for Medicare and Medicaid Providers,” Gunster Health Law E-Alert, December 17, 2014
- “Are Physicians Required to Provide Interpreters for Deaf or Hearing-Impaired Patients?,” Doctor’s Life, Vol. 2:6, 2014
- “Medicare Ends Improper ‘Improvement Standard’ for Coverage of Skilled Care,” Doctor’s Life, Vol. 2:4, 2014
- “Florida’s New Privacy Law Places Greater Burden on Healthcare Providers,” Health Law e-Alert, July 9, 2014
- “The Security Risk Assessment Requirement of HIPAA: Are You in Compliance?” Doctor’s Life, Vol. 2:3, 2014
- “A Line in the Sand: Florida Municipalities Struggle to Determine the Line between Valid Noise Ordinances and Unconstitutional Restrictions,” Stetson Law Review, Volume 35:2
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers