Robert Fernandez advises on all types of commercial and business litigation such as breach of contracts, business torts, shareholder/member disputes, non-compete covenants and the misappropriation of trade secrets in both federal and state courts. He has also represented businesses in bid protest award disputes before the Miami-Dade County Commission and the City of Miami Commission, as well as various other governmental entities.
In addition to his litigation practice, Robert is dedicated to representing elected officials and candidates on Florida election and ethics law issues including campaign and political committee compliance with all aspects of Florida's Election Code. He advises on all types of election litigation such as candidate disqualifications, ballot initiative petitions and referendums, ballot recounts and post-election contests. He has also handled multi-district federal litigation, product liability, and internal corporate investigations.
In 2003, Robert moved to Tallahassee and became deputy general counsel to former Governor Jeb Bush. As deputy general counsel, he was responsible for assisting the governor's general counsel with overseeing all legal aspects affecting the executive office of the governor, as well as the seventeen governor's executive agencies. This included advising the general counsel and Governor Bush on agency actions, pending litigation, executive orders, legislative bills, constitutional issues, judicial and executive appointments, cabinet issues, suspension of elected officials, and public records law and constituent legal issues.
In 2005, Robert returned to his South Florida practice handling all types of complex business litigation, as well as representing candidates and elected officials before the Florida Elections Commission, Florida Ethics Commission and the Miami-Dade County Commission on Ethics and Public Trust. He also represents various entrepreneurial and start-up ventures advising on a variety of legal issues.
Robert is fluent in Spanish, and has handled multiple and diverse litigation matters with clients, witnesses, documents and proceedings in Spanish.
- Represented a Florida insurance agency as lead counsel in both state trial and on appeal in a successful multi-million dollar fraud dispute pertaining to the inducement and rescission of contract claims against its joint venture partners
- Represented an affordable housing developer as lead counsel in state trial in a successful multi-million dollar breach of contract claim against Miami-Dade County
- Represented a Canadian technology company as co-counsel in federal trial in breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secret claims against a telecom company
- Represented numerous real estate developers and business owners in commercial loan foreclosure litigation matters resulting in working out forbearance agreements with banks on numerous multi-million dollar loans
- Represented a provider of commissary services and goods to Miami-Dade County in its legal bid protest challenge of an award of a contract to a competing vendor
- Represented dozens of Venezuelan accident victims in federal multi-district product liability litigation against auto and tire manufacturers for tread separation and rollover accidents in Venezuela resulting in multi-million dollar confidential settlements
- Represented the executive of the Florida governor in trial proceedings to support the governor's decision to remove from office the supervisor of elections for Broward County, which was then approved by the Florida Senate
- Represented various elected officials and candidates on various ballot disqualification challenges and post-election contest matters in both state trial and appellate courts
- Represented various elected officials in ethics violation complaints and campaign violation complaints that were filed against them before the Florida Elections Commission
- Represented a local board appointee in an ethics violation complaint that was filed against him before the Miami-Dade County Commission on Ethics and Public Trust
- Federal Judicial Nominating Commission for the Southern District of Florida appointed by U.S. Senator Marco Rubio, 2017-present
- Eleventh Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission appointed by Governor Rick Scott, 2018-22
- Cuban American Bar Association, 2014-present
- Miami Dade College, board trustee, appointed by Governor Charlie Crist, 2007-12
- Miami-Dade County Housing Finance Authority, board member, 2007-09
- Key Biscayne Charter Review Commission, 2007
- Family Resource Center
- Board member, 1997-2003, 2006-present
- Board chair, 2010-14