Art Meyers advises boards of directors and compensation committees on all matters relating to executive compensation, including employment, severance and change of control agreements.
Art also represents domestic and international public and closely-held entities on the tax, corporate, employment and securities law aspects of equity compensation plans. He provides legal advice to businesses and not-for-profit employers on the design, implementation and administration of tax-qualified retirement plans, non-qualified deferred compensation and welfare benefit plans.
Moreover, Art serves as ERISA counsel to plan fiduciaries, including registered investment advisors. He is also involved in negotiating and documenting ERISA and employee benefit plan provisions for mergers and acquisitions, credit agreements and private equity funds.
In addition to his commitment to understanding client goals prior to every matter in which he is involved, Art is dedicated to providing practical solutions for complex compensation and benefits-related issues. Art strives to understand each client's business objectives and works with them to prioritize what is important going forward. Analytical by nature, Art seeks to demystify compensation and benefits law for those he serves.
- Advises UK law firms and their foreign corporate clients on US tax and securities laws affecting equity compensation plans in transactions and when the companies are extending such plans to US employees.
- Acted on behalf of a former NYSE company with respect to the implementation of a unit incentive plan following the company's acquisition by a well-known private equity firm.
- lmplemented one of the first French Macron Law tax-advantaged equity plans for a US public company.
- Represented the management team of a robotics company that was acquired by one of the world’s largest technology companies.
- Negotiated multiple employment contracts on behalf of the CEO of a public gaming company with significant investment by two prominent private equity firms.
- Advised one of the largest US life insurance companies on employment and severance agreements for multlple C-suite executives.
- Counseled a top-5 US bank that was acting as a senior lender in a multimillion dollar ESOP buy-out of a family-owned industrial company and on the subsequent refinancing of the loan.
- Structured an intentional withdrawal from a multiemployer pension plan and negotiated the terms of a unique insurance policy to cover any subsequent mass withdrawal liability which allowed a private equity sponsor to sell its last portfolio company and wind-up a maturing fund.
- Designed and drafted an incentive compensation plan for senior employees of the US and foreign family offices of a prominent individual.
- Provided US tax, ERISA and securities law advice for the redomiciling and restructuring of three non-US funds accepting ERISA investors.
- Chambers & Partners, “Leaders in Their Field,” Tax: Employee Benefits, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2006-present
- Litigation – ERISA, 2011-present
- Employment Law – Management, 2016- present
- Chambers & Partners, "Leaders in Their Field," Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, 2009-20
- "Performance Metrics: Best Practices and Common Mistakes," speaker, E*TRADE Directions 2019 Client Conference, Palm Springs, May 2019.
- "Equity Compensation-What You Need to (Or Should) Know for 2019," speaker, Computershare webinar, February 2019.
- "Hot Topics in Equity Compensation," speaker, The 26th Annual National Association of Stock Plan Professionals Conference, San Diego, September 2018.
- "How Tax Reform Affects Your Stock Compensation and Financial Planning," podcast presenter, mystockoptions.com, July 2018.
- "US Tax Law Changes lmpacting Executive and Employee Share Schemes," speaker, Share Plan Lawyers Group, London, April 2018.
- "Board Recruitment: What do lnvestors Want?" moderator, Society for Corporate Governance, Boston, November 2017.
- "Best Practices for lnsider Trading Policies," speaker, The 25th Annual National Association of Stock Plan Professionals Conference, Washington D.C., October 2017.
- "Moving the Goal Posts: Navigating Changes in Performance-Based Equity Awards," speaker, E*TRADE Directions 2017 client conference, Scottsdale, May 2017.
- "Compensation Committee & Executive Compensation Governance, Alignment and Retention," speaker, Financial Executives lnternational, Boston, May 2017.
- "Trick or Treat? Ten Terrifying 162(m) Traps & How to Avoid Them," speaker, The 24th Annual National Association for Stock Plan Professionals Conference, Houston, October 2016.
- "Madder than a Wet Hen: The Top 10 Mistakes in Equity Grant Agreements," speaker, The 24th Annual National Association for Stock Plan Professionals Conference, Houston, October 2016.
- "An Advanced Course on Pay Ratio," speaker, Equilar 7th Annual Executive Compensation Summit, Boston, June 2016.
- "Parents and Their Children: Making it Work with Your Overseas Subsidiaries," speaker, Global Equity Organization 17th Annual Conference, Boston, April 2016.
- The Legal 500 Country Guide, United States: Employee lncentives
- National Association of Stock Plan Professionals, Executive Advisory Committee
- Society for Corporate Governance, Eastern New England Chapter, Advisory Committee
- Mystockoptions.com, advisory board