David Atkinson is a shareholder who joined Gunster in 1988. He is Gunster’s co-general counsel and co-chairs the firm’s Professional Liability Defense group.
David has previously served on the Florida Bar Standing Committee on Professional Ethics and is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America.
David practices throughout Florida and works out of the firm’s West Palm Beach and Miami offices. An experienced litigator, David understands the importance of defending and safeguarding business interests and professional reputations. David has been defending lawyers and accountants for 25 years.
David also represents clients in a wide variety of business disputes in both state and federal courts and in arbitration.
David likes to learn about a client’s business, visit their firm or facilities and get to know their people. David strives to protect a client’s interest by gaining a practical understanding of what a client does which is critical to efficiently solving legal problems.
David is an avid sailor who loves Biscayne Bay and the Abaco islands.
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Commercial Litigation, 2011-24
- Intellectual Property Litigation, 2011-22
- Patent Litigation, 2011-22
- Real Estate Litigation, 2011-22
- Palm Beach Illustrated, “Top Lawyers,” Business Litigation, 2018-19, 2023
- Chambers & Partners
- Recognized Practitioner, 2016
- “Leaders in Their Field,” Litigation: General Commercial, 2010-14
- Florida Trend, “Legal Elite,” 2014
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006, 2013-23
- AV Rated as independently determined by Martindale-Hubbell
- “Law Firm Internal Investigations: A Primer,” Panel, Law Firm General Counsel Roundtable – Legal Management Resources LLC, May 2023
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Bar Association, Fellow
- National Legal Malpractice
- Professional Liability and Litigation Section
- ABA Center for Professional Responsibility
- Florida Bar, Standing Committee on Professional Ethics, 2014-2017