For more than twenty years, George S. LeMieux has been lead trial counsel in federal and state courts, in civil and regulatory matters, before juries, judges and arbitrators. His clients include financial institutions (Wells Fargo, TD Bank), telecommunications companies (AT&T), healthcare providers (Cleveland Clinic, Broward Health, Memorial Healthcare), real estate developers (Ram Realty Services, Falcone Group), and during the course of his career prominent individuals including President-elect George W. Bush, Governor Jeb Bush, and Raymond Perelman. He has argued cases before the United States Supreme Court, the Supreme Court of Florida, and Florida’s intermediate appellate courts. His practice includes defending clients in enforcement matters brought by state attorneys general, advocating for clients in administrative law proceedings including bid protests, and counseling governmental bodies on public records and public meeting requirements. He has successfully litigated business disputes and intellectual property cases to verdict; his practice also includes professional liability defense.
George is an advisor to Fortune 500 companies, their officers and boards. He leads internal corporate investigations representing boards of directors and has experience in representing independent committees of boards in related party transactions.
George served as Florida’s 34th United States Senator in the 111th Congress. In the United States Senate, he served on the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, the Armed Services Committee, and the Special Committee on Aging. He successfully passed legislation on health care fraud, export promotion, rating agency reform, small business promotion, as well as a treaty resolution on tactical nuclear weapons.
He also served as Florida’s chief deputy attorney general, overseeing more than 400 attorneys, and as the governor’s chief of staff overseeing all state agencies and operations. In that role, he negotiated a gaming compact with the Seminole Tribe of Florida.
At the request of Governor-elect Ron DeSantis, George co-chaired the DeSantis/Nunez transition in 2018.
George is the chairman of the board of Gunster. He is the founder of the LeMieux Center for Public Policy at Palm Beach Atlantic University. He is also the author, along with Laura Mize, of the award-winning book, Florida Made, The 25 Most Important Figures Who Shaped the State.
- Represented a real estate developer in state and federal court successfully defeating a claim under the Endangered Species Act and a zoning challenge. Center for Biological Diversity v. Ryan Zinkle, 2018 WL 1795444 (S.D. Fla. 2018)
- Represented a doctor/inventor in patent litigation achieving a $55 million jury verdict Tronzo v. Biomet, 236 F. 3d 1342 (Fed. Cir. 2001).
- Represented FTD in defense of a claim for patent infringement with a defense verdict and finding of invalidity. Memorylink, Inc. v. Florists Transworld Delivery Assoc., 121 F.3d 727 (Fed. Cir. 1997).
- Represented the former chairwoman of a private school board of directors successfully resolving on summary judgment a claim for defamation (2019).
- Represented hotel owner in a partnership dispute successfully ending the partnership and causing the sale of the hotel (2018).
- Represented franchisor accused of trade secret theft with successful resolution pre-trial. (2013)
- Represented telecommunications company in several lawsuits against municipalities successfully challenging restrictions to 5G network installations (2017-19).
- Represented multiple clients in defense of attorney general enforcement matters with successful resolution without litigation.
- Represented candidate for statewide cabinet post in election law challenge (2016).
- Represented candidate for president of the United States in election challenge (2000).
- Represented a distributor in a breach of contract action with a three-arbitrator panel finding for the client (2019).
- Represented a nutraceutical manufacturer in a contract action with a three-arbitrator panel finding for the client (2001).
- Represented the State of Florida in a Death Penalty Appeal before the United States Supreme Court achieving a unanimous reversal in Florida v. Nixon, 543 U.S. 175 (2004).
- Defense of a 4th District Court of Appeal order before the Florida Supreme Court reversing punitive damages award in absence of compensatory damage award. Heritage Manor of Memorial Park, Inc., et. al. v. DFG Group, LLC, et. al., Case No. SC18-581 (2020).
- Defense of charter amendment imposing a transportation surtax before the Florida Supreme Court. Robert Emerson et. al. and Stacy White, et. al. v. Hillsborough County, Florida, etc. et. al., Case Nos. SC19-250, SC19-1343 (2020).
- Represented the Florida Attorney General’s Office in an Unfair Deceptive Trade Practices Action affirming long-arm jurisdiction in State of Florida v. Wyndham, 869 So. 2d 592 (Fla. 1st DCA 2004).
- Represented John Thrasher, Republican presidential elector in an election contest, before the Florida Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court. George W. Bush and Richard Cheney v. Albert Gore, Jr., et. al. (2000).
- Represented AT&T in appeal over denial of motion to stay litigation and compel arbitration reversing the trial court’s decision. AT&T Services, Inc., et. al. v. S&S Utilities Engineering LLC, et. al. (Fla. 4TH DCA 2020).
- Led an internal investigation of a publicly traded company of potential improprieties concerning a federal program.
- Led an internal investigation of a publicly traded company investigating allegations of self-dealing by the CEO.
- Led an internal investigation of a publicly traded company concerning representations as to the capabilities of the company’s online platform.
- Led an internal investigation into allegations by a member of a private club concerning claims of discrimination.
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Administrative/Regulatory Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Fort Lauderdale, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Administrative/Regulatory Law, Commercial Litigation, 2013-23
- Florida Trend “Florida 500,” 2019-22
- AV Preeminent rating as independently determined by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2009, 2017, 2019-22
- Fort Lauderdale Magazine, “Top Lawyers,” Administrative/Regulatory Law, 2021
- “Economic and Tax Policy Outlook for Florida and U.S.,” Planned Giving Council of Broward, Fort Lauderdale, December 2014
- Florida Legislative and Executive Office discussions regarding “The State’s Gaming Policies and the Seminole Compact,” The Tower Forum, November 2013
- “Conversation on Florida Elections with Senator Bob Graham,” CountyLine TV WBEC, November 2013
- Panelist on health care reform, “History & Development of the Law and State Response to the Law and Future Costs,” JA World Huizenga Center, October 2013
- “Economic Outlook, the Political Climate and Current Tax and Planning Issues,” National Christian Foundation of South Florida, October 2013
- “Florida’s Economic Climate and How Rules and Regulations are Affecting the Florida Economy,” Planned Giving Council, September 2013
- Broward Performing Arts Foundation, Chairman of the Board, 2022-present
- LeMieux Center for Public Policy at Palm Beach Atlantic University, Founder
- Pine Crest School, board of trustees
- Florida Council of 100, Vice-Chairman
- Broward Workshop, executive committee
- Florida Tax Watch, Past Chair
- Young Presidents Organization (YPO) Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gold, board member and Past Chair
- National Association Urban Debate Leagues, board member
- Broward Debate Initiative, co-founder
- Cleveland Clinic Weston, board member
- Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance, GREAT Committee, past chair