With more than three decades of experience in environmental law, Michael (Mike) Petrovich’s practice is primarily focused on solid and hazardous waste regulation, real property contamination investigation and cleanup, including application of risk-based corrective action principles, environmental due diligence and related considerations associated with the transfer of contaminated properties, Brownfield Redevelopment and pollutant storage tank regulation.
Throughout his career, Mike has been involved in most of the legislative, rule and policy changes to Florida’s regulatory programs. Notably, he represents a variety of industrial clients before the Florida Legislature, Florida Department of Environmental Protection and other state agencies advocating their environmental objectives.
Mike advises clients on environmental regulatory compliance issues, permitting and defense of enforcement actions brought by various environmental agencies such as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Florida Department of Environmental Protection. His experience includes utilities, manufacturing, and mining industries’ solid and hazardous waste regulatory issues, among others. A dedicated team player, Mike particularly enjoys working collaboratively and closely with clients and their in-house environmental teams to solve the unique and complex compliance issues that arise in these regulatory programs.
Mike feels fortunate to have been involved in assisting with the development of the laws and regulations that drive Florida’s environmental practices today. His historical perspective and deep understanding of the policies that underlie this body of complex law can benefit his clients seeking to successfully navigate these regulatory requirements while achieving their important business goals and objectives. A frequent speaker at industry and business forums across the state on these and other developing environmental regulatory issues, Mike prides himself on knowing not only where the law in this area stands today but where it is likely to head in the future.
- Assisted large mining and chemical manufacturing concern on environmental due diligence and related transactional matters in successful sale of its Florida assets.
- Represented large chemical manufacturing client in successful resolution of U.S. Environmental Protection Agency allegations brought as part of high priority, multi-year agency national enforcement initiative
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Environmental Law, Litigation – Environmental, 2005-23
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2012, 2014
- Florida Trend “Legal Elite,” 2006, 2012
- Chambers USA, 2009-2015
- “AV” Preeminent rating from the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
Publications & Presentations
- “Hot Topics/Emerging Issues in Waste Management,” 36th annual Environmental Permitting Summer School, Florida Chamber Foundation, July 2022
- “Florida Solid Waste Regulation Update,” 36th annual Environmental Permitting Summer School, Florida Chamber Foundation, July 2022
- PFAS Regulatory Update, Tallahassee Area Association of Environmental Professionals, Presenter, May 2022
- Risk-Based Corrective Action in Florida; How is it working? Environmental and Land Use Law in the Florida Bar Journal (January 2015) (co-author)
- More Flexible Cleanup in Florida: RCRA Corrective Action Reforms, Environmental and Land Use Law in the Florida Bar Journal (March 2003) (co-author)
- Groundwater Quality Protection: An Overview, Groundwater, Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise (co-author)
- Transportation of Hazardous Materials, Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise (co-author)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Florida Bar Association (Administrative Law Section, 1989-present; Environmental and Land Use Law Section, 1989-present)
- Florida Association for Water Quality Control, Inc.
- Florida Brownfields Association
Civic & Community Service
- Keep Tallahassee-Leon County Beautiful