Michael Hargett serves as general counsel for businesses and business owners. His more than two decades of experience support him in meeting each of his client’s business legal needs and long- and short-term objectives. Michael is dedicated to serving as the consummate corporate counsellor who practices primarily in the areas of business litigation and dispute resolution and corporate transactional law, with a focus on real and intellectual property issues.
Notably, Michael is registered as an attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He is also board certified in real property law and a member of the Executive Council of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law (RPPTL) section of the Florida Bar. Michael served as chair of the Real Property Litigation Committee for many years and is now chair of the RPPTL ad hoc Communications Committee and co-chair of the RPPTL Ad Hoc Rules of Civil Procedure Committee. Michael is particularly well-versed in the Uniform Partition of Heir’s Property Act, where he worked with the Florida legislature and the act’s sponsor to improve the act and has effectively apply it to resolve multiple family disputes.
Michael started his professional career with Milliken & Co., a global manufacturer of chemicals, composites, floor coverings, and performance materials. He served as Plant Manager of several operating locations and as Director of Development of laminate composites. Following his career working in business management, Michael was V.P. of Operations of a worldwide tier-one automotive supplier and responsible for more than 2,000 employees. Michael gained direct experience in buying and selling companies and business units, making him uniquely qualified to overcome the complex legal challenges businesses face today.
Michael earned his law degree, cum laude, from the University of Florida College of Law in May 2007. There he served as competitor, coach and final four champion on the Justice Campbell Thornal Moot Court Team. Prior to attending law school, Michael received his Masters in Business Administration from Clemson University in 1989 and his Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering from the University of Florida in 1983.
Michael lives in Tampa with his wife, Holly. They have three children, Lora, William and Elizabeth, all of whom graduated from the University of Florida. He and Holly are parishioners of Palma Ceia Presbyterian Church in Tampa, Florida.
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, John Arthur Jones Annual Service Award Recipient, 2021-22
- Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Real Estate Law, 2013-present
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2015-17
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2020-22
Publications & Presentations
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar, Speaker, Annual Legislative Update:
- 2022 “Change is Coming! The Supreme Court Workgroup on Improved Resolution of Civil Cases”
- 2020 “Florida’s Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act: Off Ramp on the Partition Highway
- 2019 “Florida’s Adoption of the Uniform Interstate Depositions and Discovery Act”
- CLE “The Practical Aftermath of the Florida Supreme Court Hayslip Opinion: What “Touches & Concerns” the Land?,” 2022
- CLE “The Virtual Law Office” RPPTL Convention, 2021
- “Piercing the Homestead Veil” ActionLine Summer 2017, a publication of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar, co-author
- Florida Bar Advanced Level CLE: “Piercing the Homestead Veil: Does New Case Law Expand Equitable Remedies Available to Creditors“ Course No. 2668R, May 17, 2017
- CLE “Landlords and Tenants in Bankruptcy” Landlord Tenant Law – Leases, Evictions, Litigation, and Settlements, Tampa Florida – Sterling Education Services, Inc., 2013, 2014
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar, 2007-present
- Executive Council, 2017-present
- Chair, Ad Hoc Communications Committee
- Co-Chair, Ad Hoc Rules of Civil Procedure Committee
- Co-Vice Chair, Ad Hoc Hayslip Committee
- Real Property Problem Studies Committee
- Past Chair, Real Property Litigation Committee, 2018-22
- The Florida Bar, Business Law and Real Property Sections
- The Florida Land Title Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Business Law and Real Property Sections