Matthew J. Scheer is a board certified tax attorney and a member of the firm’s Tax, Corporate, Private Wealth Services, and International practice groups.
Matt advises clients on complex business transactions, joint venture structuring and corporate restructurings, cross-border investment structures, investment fund structuring, intergenerational wealth transfers and planning, estate planning, and charitable planning. Matt works closely with clients to ensure that clients’ personal, professional, and business objectives are met while achieving tax efficient structures. Matt’s clients are wide-ranging, including investment funds, closely-held businesses, entrepreneurs, family offices, family trust companies, high net worth individuals, and tax-exempt organizations, both public and private.
In addition, Matt represents clients in tax controversy matters, including income tax audits, estate tax audits, and Florida sales and use tax audits. He has represented clients in appeals of audits and other proceedings.
Whatever the challenge, Matt is committed to helping his clients solve their problems through creative and effective solutions combining his technical skills and wide range of experience. Matt seeks to be an effective advisor and partner for his clients by providing practical, actionable advice and helping distill complicated concepts into understandable information.
Matt has served on the Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section’s subcommittee for Family Trust Companies and the Tax Law Section’s subcommittee for the Florida Business Corporation Act. He also serves on the local board of two industry-related organizations, the Palm Beach Tax Institute and the East Coast Estate Planning Council.
- Boca Raton Observer, “Top Lawyers,” 2022
- Florida Super Lawyers, “Rising Star,” 2021-23
- “Life, Death, and Taxes: Considerations for Start-Ups & Early-Stage Companies,” Gunster Law Day, speaker/coach, July 14, 2022
- Florida Tax Institute, board of directors, 2023-present
- Palm Beach Tax Institute, board of directors, 2020
- East Coast Estate Planning Council, board of directors, 2020
- The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section (RPPTL), Family Trust Companies subcommittee co-chair, 2019-present
- The Florida Bar, Tax Law Section, Florida Business Corporation Act subcommittee, 2018
- Leadership Palm Beach County, Engage Program, Class of 2023
- Florence Fuller Child Development Centers, board of directors, 2021-present