Bill is managing shareholder of the firm's Tampa office and is a board certified specialist in the area of business litigation. His practice focuses on litigation and trial practice, including securities litigation and arbitration, professional malpractice litigation, director and officer employment litigation and intellectual property litigation.
Bill served as president of the Florida Bar for the 2016-2017 term. He is also a member of the board of trustees for the University of Florida Levin College of Law. Bill was selected by Senate President Joe Negron to serve on the Florida Constitution Revision Commission as one of 37 commissioners responsible for studying, researching and making recommendations for revising Florida's Constitution.
Bill previously served eight years as a member of the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission, appointed by both Governors Jeb Bush and Charlie Crist, and served as its chairman.
Bill is a frequent speaker and lecturer on a number of litigation and trial topics, including deposition strategies and techniques, expert witness procedures and discovery, and trial issues in Florida.
After law school, Bill worked for Taub & Williams, P.A., subsequently establishing Williams, Schifino, Mangione & Steady, P.A. in 1991, where he was a founding shareholder, president and then managing director before the firm combined with Alabama-based Burr & Forman in 2012. In 2018, Bill joined Gunster and assumed the role of managing shareholder of the firm's Tampa office.
In addition to his law practice, Bill serves on the board of directors for Quantum Capital Partners, a Tampa based venture capital firm.
- Represented the defendants, including a publicly traded company, in a Federal jury trial brought by the SEC alleging multiple securities law violations in which the jury returned a verdict in favor of the defendants on all counts.
- Successfully represented a California based law firm in a claim for securities law violations in connection with its work in preparing a Private Placement Memorandum and obtained a defense verdict and recovered attorney's fees and costs on behalf of the defendants.
- Lead counsel in defending a large statewide law firm in a legal malpractice claim under the Interstate Land Sales Disclosure Act for claimed damages in excess of $60,000,000.00. After approximately two years of litigation, the case was settled.
- Represented the defendant, a public company, in the defense of a claim for breach of employment agreement, director/officer conflict of interest, negligence and fraud. Obtained a jury verdict in his client’s favor on all counts and ultimately obtained a jury verdict on a counter-claim for civil theft/embezzlement.
- AV Preeminent rating as independently determined by Martindale-Hubbell
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Outstanding Lawyer, 2014
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Litigation: General Commercial, 2016-18
- Florida Trend, "Legal Elite,"
- Commercial Litigation, 2006-2010, 2013, 2015-16
- Business Law, 2016, 2018
- Florida Super Lawyers, Securities Litigation, 2006-18
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Securities, 2008-17
- Litigation-Securities Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Tampa, 2014, 2016
- Florida Constitution Revision Commission, 2017-18
- Florida Bar
- President, 2016-17
- Thirteenth Judicial Circuit, board of governors , 2008-18
- Trial Lawyer Section
- Business Law Section
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Florida Bar Foundation, fellow
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, president, 2004-05
- Hillsborough County Bar Foundation, president, 2014-15
- American Bar Association
- Florida Justice Association, fellow
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, board of trustees
- Florida Guardian Ad Litem Association
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Tampa
- Boys & Girls Club of Tampa Bay, Inc., director of corporate board
- Tampa Bay Little League, Inc., coach, president and director