Jonathan K. Osborne is a trial lawyer and former federal prosecutor who concentrates his practice in the areas of litigation, investigations and compliance.
As an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of Florida, Jonathan investigated and prosecuted a wide array of criminal violations by companies and individuals. His cases involved allegations of fraud; computer crimes and identity theft; human smuggling; money laundering; narcotics and firearms trafficking; corruption; bribery and extortion; and murder. In several instances, Jonathan partnered with the DEA and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to target the unlawful diversion of prescription medication, including opioids, by licensed medical professionals, as well as the purchase, importation and administration of counterfeit and unapproved prescription drugs by physicians.
Furthermore, while a member of the International Narcotics and Money Laundering Section’s High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) task force, Jonathan’s investigations focused on multinational cartels and domestic organized crime. To that end, Jonathan teamed with investigators from federal, state and local law enforcement agencies and financial regulators, including the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). Jonathan also led cross-border investigations and worked with U.S. Embassy officials, as well as law enforcement in Europe, South and Central America and the Caribbean.
In sum, during his time at the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Jonathan led hundreds of criminal investigations and represented the United States in jury trials and on appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit. As part of the U.S. Attorney's Office's Violence Reduction Partnership, Jonathan also founded a mentorship program with the legal academy magnet programs at Law Enforcement Officers' Memorial High School and Coral Reef Senior High School in Miami.
Currently, Jonathan dedicates his practice to advocating for clients before state and federal courts, as well as defending and advising companies, business leaders, nonprofit organizations, and healthcare professionals in connection with government and regulatory investigations. Jonathan’s practice includes leading internal and external investigations and providing counsel on compliance with state and federal criminal law.
Jonathan attended Georgetown University Law Center where, as a student, he briefed and argued an appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Jonathan played college basketball at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas and University of Alaska-Fairbanks, where he won the athletic department's community service award.
- U.S. v. Joyner, 882 F.3d 1369 (11th Cir. 2018)
- U.S. v. Richard, et. al, 678 F. App’x 927 (11th Cir. 2017)
- Jones v. Astrue, 647 F.3d 350 (D.C. Cir. 2011)
- Led more than 150 successful federal criminal prosecutions as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of Florida
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a Fortune 500 company regarding allegations of racial discrimination
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a Florida education nonprofit regarding allegations of executive misconduct
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a Florida-based bank regarding allegations of bank and wire fraud
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a national healthcare organization regarding allegations of healthcare fraud
- Represented a renewable energy company in an action to compel arbitration under the Federal Arbitration Act
- Represented a former shareholder in a securities fraud action against a corporation and directors
- Represented a precious metals seller in an alleged fraudulent metals scheme defense under the Commodities Exchange Act
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in a breach of contract lawsuit
- "The Uptick in Litigation Due to COVID-19: How to Prepare Your Business," Gunster webinar, May 20, 2020
- "Re-Opening Florida: Guidance for Businesses to Protect Themselves, Employees & Customers," Greater Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce webinar, May 15, 2020
- "Re-Opening Florida: Guidance for Businesses to Protect Themselves, Employees & Customers," Gunster webinar, May 1, 2020
- "How to Protect Your Business from Potential Internal and External Cybersecurity Threats Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic," Gunster webinar, panelist, April 24, 2020
- "CARES Act: A Deep Dive for Legal Professionals," Gunster webinar, panelist, April 13, 2020
- "Antitrust Laws and Competitor Collaboration in the Face of COVID-19," author, Gunster Alerts & Publications, March 26, 2020
- "Businesses Beware: COVID-19 Fraud is Flourishing," author, Gunster Alerts & Publications, March 26, 2020
- "A Future in Criminal Law: the Challenges and Opportunities", panelist, Florida A&M School of Law, Orlando, Florida, 2018
- Trained AUSAs in the Southern District of Florida on “Best Practices” in Narcotics Cases, 2018
- “I Am a Star Foundation” program, keynote speaker, Jefferson Davis Middle School, Jacksonville, Florida, 2018
- Pine Crest School Investiture, keynote speaker, Boca Raton, Florida, 2014-16, 2018
- Multilateral Summit on Combating Crime in an Interconnected World, panelist, Kingston, Jamaica, 2017
- Trained new AUSAs in the Southern District of Florida in Narcotics Investigations, 2017
- U.S. firearms prosecutions for members of the Haitian National Police, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms Training, speaker, Miami, Florida, 2017
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida’s “Law Day,” Diversity in the Law Panel, panelist, Miami, Florida, 2017
- Intercultural Human Rights Law Review Symposium on Gun Control, panelist, St. Thomas University School of Law, Miami, Florida, 2017
- “Revisiting the Dream” of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., panelist, Florida Atlantic University, 2015
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Bar Association
- Children’s Bereavement Center, Board Member and Secretary
- Leadership Fort Lauderdale, Class 26
- Fort Lauderdale Alliance, Corporate Council and International Action Team
- U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida, Violence Reduction Partnership, volunteer, 2014-19
- Habitat for Humanity of Broward County, Youth Empowerment Program, 2013-17