Derek Mountford is a litigator and problem solver in Gunster’s Business Litigation practice group. Businesses face a variety of legal disputes, each requiring a different approach that balances the need for efficiency with the need for a specific outcome. Derek understands these nuances and has helped clients navigate complex cases nationwide.
Derek’s practice often involves sophisticated, bet-the-company cases for businesses in a variety of industries. He has handled matters ranging from alleged antitrust violations, corporate governance disputes, breaches of contract and other major commercial matters. He also represents financial institutions in matters concerning all aspects of their business, including those arising under the Uniform Commercial Code, fraud and consumer finance laws.
Prior to joining Gunster, Derek spent time with regional and national law firms where he worked in commercial litigation and appellate advocacy practice groups. He also served as a judicial law clerk for two U.S. District Judges in Jacksonville, which broadened his perspective and enhanced his advocacy skills. The lessons learned along the way inform his practice now and offer a unique lens through which Derek assesses cases.
Outside the office, Derek is an active member in the community. He serves as an officer on multiple nonprofit boards, participates in several professional and leadership organizations, and organizes community service events to improve the lives of those in need.
- Representing Class I Railroad in D.C. Circuit multi-district litigation case involving alleged price fixing conspiracy.
- Obtained dismissal of nine-figure mass-action claims brought against multiple electric cooperatives involving their handling of patronage capital, which was affirmed by the Fifth Circuit on appeal.
- Defended large auto finance company in nationwide consumer finance litigation, including claims brought under the TCPA, FDCPA, FCRA and TILA.
- Obtained dismissal of claims brought against a bank for violations of Article 4A of the UCC, which was affirmed by the Eleventh Circuit on appeal.
- Successfully defended a financial institution from allegations of fraud and obtained a sanctions award in the bank’s favor under Fla. Stat. § 57.105.
- Through pro bono representation in a case arising under the Hague Convention, reunited a mother in Sonora, Mexico, with her son who was wrongfully detained by his father in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Federal Bar Association, Jacksonville Chapter, Board Treasurer
- Florida Bar Association, Consumer Protection Committee, Past Vice Chair
- Chester Bedell American Inn of Court, Barrister
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- United Community Outreach Ministry (UCOM), Board President
- Police Athletic League of Jacksonville (JaxPAL), Board Vice-President
- Jaguars Foundation, JaxMVP, Class of 2019