Ryan has focused his entire legal career on eDiscovery and information governance issues from both the litigation and consulting perspective. He frequently works alongside outside counsel law firms and clients to identify legally defensible, cost-effective and creative solutions to solve his client’s discovery and technology challenges. Ryan also utilizes his technical background to inform his legal strategy and counsels on best practices based on his experience as a records manager and solutions architect in the legal industry.
Ryan represents his clients in complex eDiscovery matters ranging from multi-district litigation, antitrust actions, products liability matters, and state and nationwide employment class action lawsuits. His litigation experience includes negotiating eDiscovery protocols, managing document preservation and collection, participating in Rule 26(f) meet and confers, and preparing document review workflows using technology assisted review.
Ryan also serves as national eDiscovery counsel for his clients advising them on preservation and legal hold strategies, vendor selection, technology assisted review and litigation readiness. Additionally, he prepares eDiscovery and information governance policies and guidelines for a wide range of business, including Fortune 500 companies, technology startups, global consulting firms, insurance companies, pharmaceutical and medical device companies, and large multinational financial institutions.
Ryan is a frequent lecturer and author on eDiscovery strategy, and he is a recognized leader in legal technology.
- International Legal Technology Association (ILTA) Knowledge Management Professional of the Year Award, Finalist, 2014
- “Rethinking E-Discovery Readiness Amid Rise of Collab Tools,” Law360, co-author, April 21, 2022
- “Authenticating Digital Signatures at Trial,” Corporate Counsel, co-author, March 13, 2019
- “Modern Communications, Data and Discovery: Leveraging All Available Data to Tell the Story,” The Master’s Conference, Chicago, IL, April 25, 2023
- “Delivering Success for Corporate Legal Operations: Principles for Onboarding the Right Legal Technology, People, and Processes,” The Master’s Conference, Miami, FL, January 24, 2023
- “Guidance for Legal Teams from Case Law Decisions in 2022,” University of Florida Levin College of Law E-Discovery Conference, Gainesville, FL, February 8, 2023
- “Rethinking eDiscovery Readiness Amid Rise of Collab Tools,” The Master’s Conference, Chicago, IL, May 18, 2022
- “E-Discovery and Office 365 – What’s Working and What’s Not,” Managing Electronic Records (MER) Conference (May 5, 2020).“Defining ROI on Discovery Strategy,” Atlanta 3000: The Master’s Conference, Atlanta, GA, November 19, 2019
- “De-Mystifying The ESI Protocol: What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You – Especially If Blindly Agreed To!,” ACEDS – Chicago Chapter, Chicago, IL, November 6, 2019
- “Adopting Analytics in Legal Practice,” The Master’s Conference, Chicago, IL, May 16, 2019
- “Save it, Scan it, Shred it, Delete it?” Webinar, C4CM, Chicago, IL, November 15, 2018
- “Rise of the Robolawyer – Increased Efficiency While Overcoming Disruptors to Your Career by Embracing Cutting Edge Technology. The future lawyer is now part automation and expertise.” The Master’s Conference, Chicago, IL, May 22, 2018
- “Paralegal’s Guide to Production Formats”, 2018 Illinois Paralegal Association Spring Conference, Illinois Paralegal Association, Chicago, IL, April 25, 2018
- “Paralegal’s Guide to eDiscovery,” The Clear Law Institute Webinar, Chicago, IL, June 22, 2017
- “Data, Discovery, and Decisions: Extending Discovery From Collection To Creation,” The Master’s Conference, Chicago, IL, May 23, 2017
- “Closing a File: Communicating, Destructing, and Purging While Maintaining Confidentiality,” Lorman Education Services Webcast, January 25, 2017
- “From Case Management to Case Intelligence,” The Master’s Conference for Legal Professionals, Chicago, IL, May 24, 2016
- “Paralegal’s Guide to Evidence: Gathering, Protecting, and Spoliation,” Lorman Education Services Webcast, February 18, 2016
- “Fulfilling the Duty to Preserve: What Every Lawyer Needs to Know,” The Clear Law Institute, Webinar, January 22, 2016
- RelativityFest Corporate Counsel SuperSession on eDiscovery, October 13, 2014
- “The Shark Tank — To Invest or Not Invest,” presented at the Ark Group/Managing Partner’s 9th Annual Knowledge Management in the Legal Profession, New York City, NY, November 2013