Jennifer W. Jones represents individuals in estate planning and administration with a focus on working with clients to transfer their assets to their families and other beneficiaries. She also counsels charitably inclined clients whose estates are subject to the federal estate tax. Jennifer has negotiated and drafted numerous charitable gift agreements totaling in excess of $200,000,000, as well as worked with numerous families on the formation and operation of family foundations, including securing tax-exempt status from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Jennifer considers her role as an estate planning and administration attorney to be part counselor and part technician. She is committed to providing her clients with the information they need to make sound decisions and strives not to lose sight of designing a plan that aligns with the family’s long term goals. Jennifer is dedicated to cultivating and maintaining personal relationships with her clients knowing that, over time, estate plans evolve to meet changing circumstances.
When families face the passing of a loved one, Jennifer advises personal representatives and trustees on their responsibilities, as well as supports them through the completion of the estate and trust administration process and in dealing with fiduciaries and beneficiaries. Jennifer is also experienced in IRS private letter rulings pertaining to charitable trusts and other related matters.
Prior to joining Gunster, Jennifer was a founding partner of a boutique estate planning firm in Miami. Prior to practicing law, Jennifer served as the director of planned giving for the nation’s fifth largest public healthcare organization’s supporting foundation.
Publications & Presentations
- “The Anatomy of a Charitable Gift Agreement,” Coral Gables/South Miami Estate Planning Council, February 26, 2019
- “The Anatomy of a Charitable Gift Agreement,” Collier County Bar Assoc., January 3, 2019
- “Summary of the Florida Tax Institute,” Leimberg.com, 2017
- “Charitable Planning,” SunTrust Lunch & Learn, Coral Gables, April 21, 2015
- “Planned Giving Made Simple,” Annual Volunteer Luncheon, Baptist Health South Florida Foundation, September 28, 2011
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), Florida Fellows Institute, graduate, 2015-16
- Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section, 2009-present
- Executive council, 2011-15
- Estate Planning Council of Broward County, board member, 2011-13
- Miami Partnership for Philanthropic Giving, board member, 2010-12
- Planned Giving Council of Broward County, board member and symposium chair, 2001-05
Civic & Community Service
- Pérez Art Museum of Miami, planned giving leadership committee, 2013-present
- Community Foundation of Broward, professional advisors council, 2014-present
- Little Kids Rock, Florida advisory board, 2015-present
- Zoo Miami Foundation, advisory council, 2018-present
- Rotary Club
- Fort Lauderdale South, board member, 2000-05
- Key West, board member, 1996-2000