Joe Raia represents foreign and domestic individuals and companies in court proceedings, government investigations, and arbitrations relating to commercial, trade and investment matters pending in the United States and abroad. He deals with matters involving multiple jurisdictions, including the treaties and principles that govern jurisdiction, choice of law, service of judicial papers abroad, obtaining evidence for use abroad, and the complexities of obtaining and protecting electronic communications and data. He has worked with the major arbitration regimes, including ICC, ICDR, UNCITRAL and AAA. His practice includes the preparation and enforcement of agreements to arbitrate, as well as the enforcement of arbitral awards and court judgments.
Joe strives to bring a personalized approach to client matters. He also works with clients to assess potential disputes and business strategy, and to identify their options. He regularly works with clients outside the United States, including Europe, Latin America and Asia, and has established relationships with counsel, diplomats and government representatives throughout the world.
Joe serves on the executive committee, as Revenue Officer, for the American Bar Association’s Section of International Law. He has contributed to ABA policy and comparative work on multiple legal and policy issues. He served for several years on the board of the Italy America Chamber of Commerce Southeast, Inc., a member of the Italian government’s Assocamerestero network. He is a member of the International Advisory Committee of the Beacon Council, the economic development agency for Miami-Dade County, Florida. He frequently speaks on matters relating to international dispute resolution.
In recent years, Joe has been working with Florida charter schools. As that sector has experienced explosive growth, Joe has dealt with the cutting edge issues presented by sponsors, state and federal departments of education, as well as other regulators. This practice includes dealing with sponsors in connection with charters, local and state rule making, dispute resolution, legal reform and strategic planning for growth oriented schools.
- AV rated as independently determined by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2013-18
- Florida Bar, International Law Section
- Former Liaison to Florida Bar International Law Section
- Former Division Chair, Tax, Employment, Immigration, Family Law and Private Clients
- Former Co-Chair and Vice-Chair International Litigation Committee
- Former Conference Co-Chair, 2012 Miami Fall Conference
- American Bar Association, International Law Section
- Secretary/Operations Officer, 2017-18
- Executive commitee
- Revenue Officer, 2016-17
- International Law Committee, Section liaison to the Florida Bar
- Tax, Estates, and Individuals Division, division chair
- International Litigation Committee, 2012-14
- 2012 Fall Conference, co-chair
- Dade County Bar Association
- Director and Executive Committee, 2008-12
- Miami Scientific Italian Community
- board of directors, 2017
- Beacon Council
- International Advisory Committee
- Italy-America Chamber of Commerce Southeast, Inc.
- American Association of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta
- University of Miami School of Law
- former instructor
- National Italian American Foundation