Timothy N. Thomes has practiced law in Florida since 1984, and works primarily on matters throughout the Florida Keys and South Florida. Tim has represented clients in business, litigation and contractual matters throughout the United States, Mexico, Canada, Europe and England. He has experience in the entertainment industry and has represented a broad range of clients in commercial law, real estate, construction and wealth and estate planning.
Tim strives to communicate the risks and rewards of a client’s potential options regarding owning and leveraging their business and personal assets. He is sensitive to and focused on a client’s bottom line, navigating beyond the challenges associated with owning and operating a business at every phase of development, and in assisting with the negotiation of the most cost effective resolution to an issue. Tim is committed to excellence in all areas of his practice, to his clients’ needs and commercial objectives, as well as to their budgetary requirements.
Tim served as special environmental prosecutor for the State Attorney’s Office in the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit, and currently serves as a special judicial magistrate for that circuit. In addition, Tim served as a member of Gunster’s Ethics Committee from 2014-2015, as well as past chairman of the Florida Bar’s Professional Ethics Committee. Tim has been certified by the American Arbitration Association and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He has also practiced mediation in state and federal court.
- “Masters of Ethics,” seminar for the Florida Bar, chairman and presenter, 2006-07
- 16th Judicial Circuit, Judicial Nominating Committee, 2011-22
- Florida Bar, Unlicensed Practice of Law Committee
- Florida Keys Bar Association, past president
- American Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association, certified arbitrator
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, fellow
- Florida Bar Association
- UPL, Standing Committee, 2008-11
- Professional Ethics Committee, Member, 2001-08; Chairman, 2007-08
- Florida Bar Sixteenth Judicial Circuit
- Special Magistrate – Foreclosure
- Fee Arbitration Chairperson, 2007-08
- Florida Keys Bench-Bar, Marital and Family Law Committee