Sam's practice is focused on serving health care and corporate clients in a variety of matters from starting new businesses to mergers and acquisitions and dissolution of partnerships. When problems arise in a business transaction, Sam's goal is to develop swift and creative solutions to close deals in a manner that makes business sense.
Sam's health care practice focuses on regulatory compliance matters including structuring arrangements to comply with the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, and applicable state laws. Sam also assists clients in providing proactive HIPAA and other compliance reviews and defense of providers undergoing health care regulatory audits.
Sam strives to help clients develop revenue enhancement strategies to take advantage of ever-changing laws, regulations, and payment models. Sam also seeks to assist clients in developing unique business models that allow health care business entities and professionals to take advantage of new payment methodologies within the confines of the law.
Sam's prior experience includes serving as a risk manager and general counsel for a multi-location hospital system. In these roles, Sam developed a unique sense of the operational side of health care as well as the distinct challenges faced by health care entities. This experience can aid Sam’s goal of developing practical, workable solutions to complex problems for clients. Sam has represented clients that include manufacturers and other businesses, medical device distribution companies, group practices, hospitals, home health agencies, nurse registries, ambulatory surgery centers, laboratories, medical executives and medical professionals.
- Defended group practice in Medicare post-payment probe audit defense reducing error rate from 100% to 0% and avoiding potential exposure of millions of dollars.
- Represented home health agency in acquiring multiple home health agencies leading to a presence in nearly every geographic region in Florida.
- Represented group practice in self reporting and refunding overpayment caused by glitch in billing system and represented client in subsequent dispute to recover damages from billing company.
- Represented pharmacist in professional licensure action with Board of Pharmacy related to alleged deficiencies in compounding pharmacy practices which was resolved with a letter of guidance.
- Represented large group practice in large privacy breach resulting in no adverse action taken by the Office for Civil Rights.
- Represented international manufacturing client in establishing businesses in Florida and securing and negotiating distribution contract with large retail company.
- Represented group practice in dispute with departing shareholder that became contentious and helped mitigate and resolve identified compliance issues that could have led to a whistleblower claim.
- Represented ASC owners in equity transaction involving national hospital chain.
- Represented physician and hospital run accountable care organizations in formation, compliance, and contracting matters.
- Serve as outsourced general counsel to businesses and healthcare providers responsible for day to day legal issues, contracting, compliance, etc.
- “Top Healthcare Legal Professional for 2017,” EPI Compliance, 2017
- “Business Associates and Breach Reporting,” EPI Conferences, Orlando, FL, February 1-3, 2018
- “The MSO/IPA Advantage in the MACRA Era, EPI Conferences,” Orlando, FL, February 1-3, 2018
- “Ebola and the Public Health System: Risk Management Legal Duties in Fighting a Deadly Infectious Disease,” American Bar Association, panel speaker, October 28, 2014
- “FACTA Compliance: Red Flags Rule for Businesses, American Public Power Association,” Jacksonville, FL, October 27, 2014
- “The Affordable Care Act and Other Developments in Employment Law (Federal and State),” National Business Institute, Jacksonville, FL, April 23, 2014
- “OSHA Workplace Safety, National Business Institute,” Jacksonville, FL, April 23, 2014
- “Clinical Risk Reduction Strategies and PSO Initiatives, Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety,” August 2013
- “Legal Risk and Financial Implications of Physician Acquisition and Integration, Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety,” August 2013 (co-presenter)
- “Changes to Ohio’s Medicaid Reimbursement via the Integrated Care Delivery System,” OHCA Annual Long-Term Care Convention, April 30, 2013
- “Audit Survival for Chiropractors,” Tri-County Chiropractic Association of Ohio, OSCA District 5, April 18, 2013
- “Behavioral Health Strategic Initiatives via ACOs,” Symposium for Mental & Behavioral Health Providers, Board Members, and Administrators, February 27, 2013
- “Health Home Initiative,” Symposium for Mental & Behavioral Health Providers, Board Members, and Administrators, February 27, 2013
- “Collaboration with Federally Qualified Health Centers,” Symposium for Mental & Behavioral Health Providers, Board Members, and Administrators, February 27, 2013
- “Developments in Radiological and Ultrasound Malpractice Laws in Ohio,” Northeast Ohio Ultrasound Society, February 2, 2013
- “Advance Directives in Ohio: Working in Collaboration with Healthcare Providers,” Lake County Bar Association, Probate Committee, January 2012
- “Modifier 25 Fraud and Abuse Issues on the Government’s Radar Again,” RezLegal Client Alert/Bulletin, July 2018
- “Healthcare Providers Required to Implement Non-Discrimination Practices under Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act,” RezLegal Client Alert/Bulletin, October 2016
- “New HHS Guidance Suggests EMR Vendors and other Business Associates cannot hold Protected Health Information Hostage,” RezLegal Client Alert/Bulletin, September 2016
- “New Prescriptive Authority for Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants,” RezLegal Client Alert/Bulletin, June 2016
- “MACRA – What it means for Physician Reimbursement,” RezLegal Client Alert/Bulletin, April 2016
- “Changes to Incident-to Billing Rules,” RezLegal Client Alert/Bulletin, March 2016
- “Common Compliance Pitfalls,” MD Life, December 2015
- “The Affordable Care Act and Other Developments in Employment Law (Federal and State),” National Business Institute, educational program handout April 23, 2014
- “Workplace Safety,” National Business Institute, educational program handout April 23, 2014
- “Keeping What You’ve Earned: Offensive and Defensive Strategies for Handling Overpayment Audits and Appeals,” co-author, Ohio State Chiropractic Association, March 2013
- “Suits Possible for Failure to Report Child Abuse,” contributor, ED Legal Letter, October 2012
- “Spotlight on Doctors’ Role in Prescription Drug Abuse, Physician Risk Management,” contributor, Vol. I, No.2, August 2012
- “Off-Label Prescribing? Know Evidence Base!” contributor, Physician Risk Management, Vol. I, No. 9, March 2013
- “EPs Face Legal Risks with Discharging Psych Patients,” contributor, ED Legal Letter, February 2013
- Florida Bar Association, 2014-present
- Oklahoma Bar Association, 2017-present
- Ohio State Bar Association, 2010-2015
- American Bar Association, 2011-2015
- American Health Lawyers Association, 2011-present
- ElderSource, Inc. and ElderSource Institute, Inc., past Board Member
- Jacksonville Area Legal Aid, Inc., past volunteer
- Hoban High School Mock Trial Team Coach, 2011-2014