As a native of Florida’s capital city, Kevin Cleary is skilled in navigating the inner workings of state and local government. Prior to joining Gunster’s Tallahassee office, Kevin developed more than a decade of legislative, executive and political experience.
Most recently, Kevin served as the Legislative Affairs Director at the Department of Environmental Protection. While advocating for the Governor’s top legislative priorities, Kevin developed an intimate understanding of environmental policy and regulatory issues important to businesses throughout Florida. Prior to his service at the Department, Kevin represented business clients and local governmental entities before Florida’s executive and legislative branches on issues related to agriculture, infrastructure, affordable housing, regulated industries, education and information technology, among others. Kevin’s knowledge of the executive branch is complimented with years of legislative experience while working in the Florida House of Representatives.
In addition to his governmental affairs experience, Kevin previously served as an advisor to major political and issue advocacy campaigns within every level of Florida’s government, and offers a keen understanding of Florida’s dynamic political climate. Kevin’s unique experience in issue advocacy and strategic communication allows him to help clients focus on what matters most to their business. With a strong belief in the power of partnerships, Kevin is committed to building long lasting relationships for his clients with crucial stakeholders and leaders in government and across the private sector.
- “30 under 30” Rising Stars in Florida Politics, 2014
- “Florida Environment, Water Policy, the 2022 Legislature and Beyond,” 36th annual Environmental Permitting Summer School, Florida Chamber Foundation, July 2022
- “Florida Environment, Water Policy, the 2021 Legislature and Beyond,” 36th annual Environmental Permitting Summer School, Florida Chamber Foundation, July 2021
- Florida Association of Professional Lobbyists, 2019-present
- Florida Association of Environmental Professionals (FAEP), 2018-present
- Tallahassee Area Association of Environmental Professionals, 2017-present
- Rotary Club of Tallahassee, 2017-19
- Big Bend Hospice, board of directors, 2018-present