Gustav Schmidt focuses his practice on securities and corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, bank regulation, capital raising, capital markets and general corporate matters.
He advises both privately held and publicly traded companies in all aspects of their businesses including public securities offerings, listing of securities on national securities exchanges, bank and bank holding company regulation, Exchange Act reporting, exempt securities offerings, proxy solicitations and corporate governance matters.
Gustav is also a veteran of the U.S. Navy having previously served as a nuclear submarine officer, most recently as the assistant engineer officer and assistant combat systems officer aboard the USS Santa Fe (SSN 763), an improved Los Angeles class attack submarine home ported in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. During this tour of duty, he led a department of sixty personnel in charge of operating the nuclear reactor that powered the submarine and served as officer of the deck, tactically employing the ship to accomplish four missions vital to national security in the Western Pacific region (and briefed at the Presidential level), as well as Artic under-ice missions.
As an avid traveler, Gustav has visited nearly thirty countries spanning four continents, as well as the North Pole. He is a member of the Circumnavigator’s Club, an international organization comprised of individuals who have crossed every line of longitude in a single direction during one trip, as well as Rotary International and the Marines Memorial Association.
- Florida Trend, “Up & Comer,” 2015
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2013-14, 2017-18
- Order of the Coif
- The Florida Moot Court Team, executive board member
- Honors in Legal Research and Writing; Appellate Advocacy
- The Securities Edge (www.thesecuritiesedge.com), editor
- “The JOBS Act — a Potential Game Changer,” Special Summary Whitepaper, Gunster Securities and Corporate Governance practice group
- “Dodd-Frank Still Affects Proxy Season Heading Into 2013,” Daily Business Review, co-author with David C. Scileppi, January 25, 2012
- “Consumer Protection Agency’s Efforts May Be Hindered for the Foreseeable Future,” Westlaw Journal Bank and Lender Liability, September 2011
- City of Fort Lauderdale Nuisance Abatement, board member
- Fort Lauderdale Rotary Club
- Circumnavigators Club
- Marines Memorial Association
- Village of Miami Shores Country Club, former advisory board member