Riley Kennedy focuses his practice on assisting clients with legal matters primarily arising in the employment & labor, health, and commercial sectors. He is an experienced litigator that has appeared in both State and Federal courtrooms throughout Florida, including during oral argument, trial, and for a variety of other legal hearings.
Riley represents employers, individuals, and businesses in litigation related to allegations of discrimination and harassment, wrongful termination, disputes over non-competition or non-solicitation agreements, and a variety of other matters including those related to, among other things, background checks, credit reporting, and requirements under Federal wage and informational laws, including aspects of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). He regularly assists companies and individuals by reviewing and drafting pre and post-employment agreements, policies, and handbooks, and provides legal advice on a variety of other contractual and compliance considerations.
Riley has also defended lawsuits featuring claims in other areas of law, including those for breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation, and fraudulent inducement. He has represented many health care providers and practices in both medical malpractice cases and in non-litigation matters. Notably, he has successfully disposed of cases prior to trial, with prejudice, through motion practice– examples include the successful disposal of cases that featured claims for defamation, violation of Florida’s Whistleblower Act, malicious prosecution, premises liability, and subrogation. In instances of appeal, Riley successfully handled the subsequent appellate briefing and argument.
Riley joined the firm after serving as a Judicial Extern in Federal court for the Honorable Gary R. Jones of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida. He also previously served as a Judicial Intern in State Court with the 15th Judicial Circuit Court in and for Palm Beach County, Florida. When he is not practicing law, Riley enjoys being outdoors, learning about history, and spending time with family.
- Obtained complete defense verdict for local medical provider after jury trial in claims brought by former employee under Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Obtained summary judgment for clients in breach of shareholder agreement and malicious prosecution matters. Handled subsequent appellate briefing and oral argument before the Fourth District Court of Appeal, which resulted in a Per Curiam Affirmed opinion in clients’ favor.
- Obtained summary judgment in client’s favor on claim made by former employee alleging a violation of Florida’s Private Whistleblower Act.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of multiple defamation claims against medical professional and legal professional. Handled appeal related to defamation claims made against medical professional which resulted in appellee prevailing.
- Obtained summary judgment for health and fitness organization against allegations of negligence.
- Obtained summary judgment for client in action involving dispute over obligations within contract and claim for subrogation.
- Obtained summary judgment for client in premises liability action.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Florida Bar Association: Labor & Employment Law Section, 2020-present
- Florida Bar Association: Appellate Practice Section, 2017-present
- Craig S. Barnard American Inns of Court, 2018-present
- Palm Beach County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, 2017-present