G. Joseph Curley is a shareholder who joined Gunster in 1986. In his third decade of practice, Joe’s goal is to continuously serve as a trusted client counselor and, when needed, a skilled trial advocate in the defense of complex, high stakes employment and commercial litigation claims.
Joe serves as a co-chair of Gunster’s Labor & Employment practice. Joe is a board certified jury trial lawyer who has enjoyed a long trial history. Joe’s experience includes the achievement of zero verdicts for institutional defendants, injunctions involving hundreds of millions in issue, as well as multi-million dollar verdicts in a variety of business related disputes.
Joe most often represents business clients with complicated employment and commercial matters in court, arbitration and before various administrative agencies. Joe is dedicated to understanding and achieving each client’s objectives in the defense of their company rights. Joe’s employment trial practice includes all forms of employment related claims involving a single plaintiff or the defense of class actions with thousands of participants.
Few employment litigators actually go to trial; however, Joe has tried more than 20 cases before judges and juries, some lasting months at a time. On multiple occasions, the trial outcome would determine whether or not his client’s company would remain viable.
An AV Preeminent Rated lawyer by Martindale Hubbell, Joe has received many awards and distinctions. Most recently, Joe was named The Best Lawyers in America’s Bet-the-Company Litigation “Lawyer of the Year” and Labor and Employment “Lawyer of the Year” in West Palm Beach.
- Lead trial counsel obtaining $16.5 million jury verdict against BellSouth Communications
- Lead trial counsel obtaining zero jury verdict on behalf of United Technologies in trial regarding age discrimination claims in large reductions of force
- Lead trial counsel obtaining $8.1 million jury verdict against Michaels Stores, Inc.
- Several successful decisions and settlements on behalf of Paul Fireman and The Paul and Phyllis Fireman Charitable Foundation arising from massive misappropriations
- Other arbitration and trial verdicts/decisions available upon request
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Labor and Employment Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" in West Palm Beach, 2017, Bet-the-Company Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" in West Palm Beach, 2016, Labor and Employment "Lawyer of the Year" in West Palm Beach, 2011
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-16
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Bet-the-Company Litigation and Labor and Employment Litigation, 2007-17
- Florida Trend, “Legal Elite,” 2005-06, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015-16
- AV Preeminent Rated as independently determined by Martindale-Hubbell
- South Florida Business Journal, “Best of the Bar,” 2008
- South Florida Legal Guide, “Top Lawyers,” 2005-16
- Daily Business Review, “Most Effective Lawyers,” 2005, 2010
- “Non-compete and Trade Secrets: Advanced Litigation Tactics,” Florida Bar Labor and Employment Law Section Seminar
- “Defense of Tort and Contract Claims,” Palm Beach County Bar Association Litigation Seminar
- Palm Beach County “Bridge the Gap” Seminar, speaker on “Commercial Litigation Techniques”
- “Covenants Not to Compete and Trade Secrets,” seminars sponsored by the Lorman Business Center
- “Protecting Trade Secrets and Non-compete Covenants,” Ninth Annual Employment Law Seminar
- “Preliminary Issues/Responses to Complaints; Primer, Discrimination Law and Defense; Defense of Discrimination and Wrongful Termination Claims,” ABA Basic Equal Employment Opportunity Law & Procedures seminar
- “Investigation and Defense of Sexual Harassment and Discrimination,” ABA Sex, Lies & Spies seminar
- Hiring and Firing in Florida: How to do it Right, CLE seminar, Sterling Educational Services, September, 2008
- Florida Bar
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- CLE/Commercial Litigation Committee
- CLE/Employment Law Committee, former chair
- Circuit Court Civil Practice Committee
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law, Litigation and Franchising Forum Sections
- Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Florida Trial Lawyers Association