Peter Sheptak’s practice focuses on serving as advisor to and counsel for family offices and family-owned and closely- held businesses. He offers more than three decades of experience working with and advising such clients on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and hedge fund investing, direct investing and co-investments, complex investment and business structures, corporate finance, and myriad other related family office matters.
Peter views a family office as a sophisticated business in and unto itself, which requires an appropriate level of professionalism and support in order to thrive. In that regard, Peter will work with the firm’s Private Wealth, Tax, Real Estate, Corporate and other practices with a focus on realizing client goals in terms of family and family office structures, investment structures, succession planning, family governance, wealth preservation and planning.
Peter is dedicated to building strong and lasting relationships with his clients and is committed to providing real value in all aspects of his practice. He remains dedicated to establishing trust and rapport, an ability he cultivated over the course of his in-house tenure.
Prior to joining Gunster, Peter spent nearly two decades working for a large Florida-based company that is owned and operated by a single family. In that capacity, Peter was responsible for the legal and structural aspects of the company’s M&A activity, hedge fund and private equity investing, direct and co-investing, corporate diversification, and finance and capital markets functions. He collaborated closely with senior management and family to establish the foundation and structure of investment programs going forward.
Peter seeks to serve as a primary advisor to and business partner with his clients. He focuses on understanding the many moving parts of a family venture and wealth planning by identifying and bringing appropriate resources when and where it is needed most. Moreover, Peter has worked extensively in the unique world of family offices and family-owned businesses, so he is experienced with the challenges and opportunities that permeate daily operations and family dynamics.
- $500 million acquisition of a franchise holding company from a major private equity firm, plus add-on acquisitions.
- $900 million acquisition of an auto leasing company from a major U.S. bank holding company.
- $200 million divisional spin-off and information technology outsourcing transaction for a major corporation.
- $85 million acquisition of a U.S.-based multinational franchise company by a Canadian competitor, along with the financing of the acquisition.
- Joint venture with a major U.S. bank to acquire the multi-billion dollar assets of a Japanese auto manufacturer’s captive auto finance company, along with the financing of the acquisition.
- $15 million acquisition of a marketing and data analytics company and the subsequent $160 million sale of that company to a public strategic buyer.
- Joint venture with a major U.S. bank to set up a captive auto finance company for a highline European auto manufacturer.
- Sale of over $8 billion of financial assets to four major banks in a series of related transactions.
- Co-investment with a major PE fund on a multi-billion dollar take-private acquisition of a public company in the beverage industry.
- Co-investment with a major PE fund on the acquisition of a company in the insurance industry.
- Multiple co-investments with a major PE fund and a family office on a multi-billion dollar acquisition of a group of companies in the salt industry.
- Multiple co-investments with a PE fund to provide growth capital to a multi-national company in the cold storage warehouse and logistics business.
- Co-investment with a PE fund (including setting up SPVs and transaction structures) to acquire three hotel/resort complexes located in Hawaii and Colorado.
- Co-investment with an independent sponsor to provide over 80% of the capital for a Series C growth round in an aerospace-related business.
- Numerous other co-investments, control acquisitions, SPVs, add-on acquisitions, spin- offs/dispositions, recapitalizations, restructurings and equity investments.
- Set-up and structuring of two $500 million “funds of one” with well-known private equity and hedge fund sponsors.
- Over $400 million of investments in PE funds and over $500 million in hedge funds. Over $25 billion of corporate financings, including secured and unsecured revolving lines of credit, acquisition financings, recapitalization financings and public and private term ABS financing and bond transactions.
- Florida Family Office Forum, 2015 – 2021